Performance? loose center fin in fin box

If you have a slightly loose center fin (sometimes the fin inset is not correctly sized with the fin box), how does this affect the performance of a single fin longboard?

If you have a 2 + 1 longboard set-up, how is performance changed?

I usually rig my fin so it is snug, but was always curious about how my surfing would be affected with a loose fin.

Thanks.

Surprisingly, not much! If you aren’t a perfectionist, but still surf well, it gives a slightly looser feeling even!

However, any loose fin has more leverage to BREAK your finbox, or stress out the surrounding glass/resin, so you should shim the fin to tighten it. Coke cans, beer cans, clear plastic, garbage bags…

LeeDD- I agree with you. In the instances when I notice that I’ve been surfing with a loose fin, I haven’t noticed any change in surfing in trim, on the nose, or in turning.

ANY LOOSENESS IN MY FIN IS NOTICEABLE ON MY HULLS. IT FEELS HITCHY AND UNSURE. I USE A PIECE WATERPROOFING (THE KIND PLUMBERS WRAP PIPE IN) TAPE AND FOLD IT AROUND THE BASE OF THE FIN FROM THE BOTTOM. TRIM OFF THE EXCESS WITH AN EXACTO KNIFE. IF NEEDED YOU CAN DOUBLE IT UP. EASY,EFFECTIVE AND QUICK FIX.

ROGER

For a more permanent fix, paint some sanding resin on the base of the fin. When it’s hard, sand it to fit. Doug

I’ve been putting a few sheets of newspaper in the fin box. Just put them aronud the base of the fin and set it in so it fits tightly. Trim of the extra paper around the base of the fin and go surf. The paper will swell some and hold the fin in nice and tight.