Pheonix project

Tape under the glass and pulling chunks of foam. Break out the spackle. There is a way to fix anything although not always comesmetic. But why go thru the pain when you’ve got wiser older and more experienced individuals telling you differant. But this is Sways and some have to go thru the pain to see why others advise them differently. Lowel

Lowel; Not sure if you are older, but I nod to your experience and wisdom on the subject matter. I’ve always been a recalcitrant type. Just ask Mom.

I used non-surfboard grade PE resin to set my boxes and the results are above. I was provided a number of suggestions to remedy this, including soaking clean rags with acetone and letting the dissolved PE wick into the rag (and repeat 'til the offending PE is gone). I’m pretty much there. Doing a little soak as time allows.

During the interim I replaced my wood shaping racks with metal. Rims were given to me by my local tire guy. The discs at the base of the rims are from the local mower/tractor repair-sales guy and are a harrow disc and interval wheel from an old seed planter ($ two milkshakes, one for him and the other for his son). Posts are adjustable ($32 for material). Nuts and bolts for locking inner posts (~$2.50). Handle on set bolts are re-bar I had laying about. Seat for blank is salvaged from two mower blades that I’d replaced. Glassing posts are left over material from shaping posts and cross-members are salvaged from an old hammock stand I had laying about. Hoping to lam this weekend.

As a reminder this was salvaged from a ~6’ tri that was probably made in the early -mid 90s as a one off (as best I can tell). It had a bad skew down the long axis. I removed the shell, straightened out the skew and massaged it into what is shown here. Things I’ve learned: Do your color last or it “smears” when you finish sand the blank; Don’t use resins that aren’t manufactured for surfboards (fin box debacle that took many an hour to resolve. See above for details)); At some point you gotta lam the thing or you will keep schlepping with it 'til what you have is nothing like your original intent. I thank McDing, UncleD, and others here, and elsewhere for their input thus far. Mahalo

Finally finished my first build.  It’s #10 on the string b/c I’ve done wood models for the littles in the extended family. The top lam kicked before I could get the wrap completed…  As such, there was a lot more effort and time involved than should have been.  The color on the rails is post hot coat with flat gray enamel.  A great learning process.  Many thanks to all who contributed.