Pics of you riding your creations.

Backyard 5’7 x 18-1/2 x 2-1/4 PUPE florescent green pigment LokBox Twin custom bamboo fins by 101finco

took a few rides before I figure this one out wobblin through a few turns during test run at a secret spot last month. really squirts out of turns nicely. didn’t know I was being captured by high quality camera phone vid :slight_smile:

unfortunately a couple weeks later …

[quote="$1"]

We have several show your build type threads and a show your artwork thread.  How about a show your creations in action thread?

[/quote]

here ya go , mate ....

http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1020703

cheers

ben

A quick glance to the left, the small avatar photo, is me on a 10' 3'' x 21 1/2 '', 34 pound pintail  single fin gun.   Sorry I can't post a larger photo.    The photo was taken at Sunset, in 1968, by a North Shore photographer named Tex Wilson.   The very next year I was riding a 7' 10'' x 21'', 7 inch sq tail,14 pound, ''mini gun'' in the same size, and larger waves, on the North Shore.   It was a time of rapid change.

[quote="$1"]

A quick glance to the left, the small avatar photo, is me on a 10' 3'' x 21 1/2 '', 34 pound pintail  single fin gun.   Sorry I can't post a larger photo.    The photo was taken at Sunset, in 1968, by a North Shore photographer named Tex Wilson.   The very next year I was riding a 7' 10'' x 21'', 7 inch sq tail,14 pound, ''mini gun'' in the same size, and larger waves, on the North Shore.   It was a time of rapid change.

[/quote]

well, here's a slightly larger version - nice wave!

Here's a shot from a couple winters ago at the end of my street.  Waited a long time for

this day:

Thruster, 8'2" x 19" x 2-3/4" pintail, handshaped

George

[quote="$1"]

Here's a shot from a couple winters ago at the end of my street.  Waited a long time for

this day:

Thruster, 8'2" x 19" x 2-3/4" pintail, handshaped

George

[/quote]

Hello George,

Thank you for helping me with my glassing. Your posts on Sways's about 4 years ago really pushed me to a new level.

Epoxy resin and proper shop temps!

I bet you live near Keith.......

Stingray

This is on a homemade 6’0" in Sri Lanka. I was riding a homemade 6’4" pin at the same spot the day before at the peak of the swell but no decent photos from that day[img_assist|nid=1048847|title=Sri Lanka Ahangama left|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=424].

here's a shot of me (my only ever magazine shot!!!) of me riding my home break - Porthleven Cornwall UK - on a board I made from Bill Trhailkill's template that he kindly sent me...

I think this is a copy of the board that Bill mention above....7'10 square tail mini gun....thanks again Bill!

[quote="$1"]

I think this is a copy of the board that Bill mention above....7'10 square tail mini gun....thanks again Bill!

[/quote]

Thirdshade,

You are correct.    I've made more ''magic boards'' with that template, than any other board design I've shaped.   It is one of the best all around designs I have ever surfed.   Made a lot of 7' 10'' 12 pound boards, using that template.   The lighter boards had improved performance in smaller waves, and did not seem to suffer in performance in larger juicer waves.

Thanks…    You don’t do bad yourself!     Charlies doing good.    He built a new shop where his garage was.    He did some mean wood veneers for us over the last 6 months!     Here’s a few he did for me + a few pics riding…

11’ x 29" x 4-3/4 Wood Veneer Pintail

10-6 x 28-3/8" x 4-5/8"

Same 10-6 as above.   Photo by Bruno Lemos

This is from late December '09.  After I put quad fins on this gun… The one that got snapped.  This is it; back together and “quaded” out - Thanks Robin Mair.  I was hoping the guy got a picture a few moments later…  The quad set up allowed me to take and hold a higher, thus faster, line than I could have when it was a tri… and I was in a big section that probably looked like the peak behind me in this shot… And I made it… Stoke!!!

I think it’ll be bigger… “seeable…” Ha!

HI bill,

do you have a "digital" copy of that square tail that i could get a look at?

cheers

MF

Hi Carve Nalu -

Would you mind telling us if those rails are solid or wrapped in balsa veneer?  They came out looking clean!

Thanks in advance.

If its how Charlie taught us

its 3/32-1/16 balsa planks wrapped around the rail

Charlie is the master of the balsa rail wrap

no one else can do it as cleanly as he's been doing these past 10 years or so.

Beautiful boards Blane and totally unreal surfing

Isn't an amazing journey you've been part of

since those first "monkey" pictures of you knee paddling your Munoz out at Pinballs

4-5 years ago... 

It should be a mandatory read for all those on swaylocks just starting out.

when is the book coming out? 

[quote="$1"]

do you have a "digital" copy of that square tail that i could get a look at?

[/quote]

Sorry, the template was hand drawn on masonite in 1969, long before digital applications were available.

Back when Charlie was showing us how to do the balsa skins all the boards had skins wrapped around shaped rails. He’s damned good at it. 

I thought I saw an older photo from Carve that looked like the rails were solid, but these look like they were wrapped.

dow blue foam rails perimeter stringers with eps core quad - the 'rubber band board' - bending through a fun little slab

My favorite thruster (#3), shaped her after watching JC shaping 101.  Been hooked ever since.

[img_assist|nid=1048864|title=|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=512]
[img_assist|nid=1048865|title=|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=512][img_assist|nid=1048867|title=|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=512]