Planer KP0810 static

Ok, so im getting static from my planer that has dust extraction hose via a shop vac.

Im going to run a bare copper wire through the hose but my question relates to each end of the wire and how / where to terminate.

Planer end: where should i attach the copper wire? Does it matter?

Grounding end: i am working in a steel shed that is sitting directly onto concrete slab. Can i terminate the wire onto the shed itself bearing in mind the shed sits on concrete slab not directly onto the ground…. Other option is to use a copper grounding rod pushed into the ground to terminate the wire on… this of course means making a hole in the shed which id like to avoid if i am able!

Great get your thoughts
MB

Run the wire thru the hose into the port on the planer. You only have to ground the opposite end. Use the ground in your electrical outlet.

1 Like

Thanks Pete, so doesn’t need to be ‘attached’ at planer end?

No. The static is generated by the swirling dust, wherever in the hose the charge builds up it’ll discharge into the bare wire since it’s grounded. You won’t get zapped because the wire is the path of least resistance to ground. Just be sure to coil the wire into the hose so it stretches with it. Wrap it around a pipe or something to coil it if needed.

1 Like

Clear as a bell!!! Thanks Pete, your expertise greatly appreciated!!!
Marty