Planer Research Thread

Can’t wait to see it all in May! 

That would be great thanks.  

Does anybody have a Type 4A or a picture of the badge?  I’ve heard of them but never even seen one. Here’s the latest version of the timeline guide.  The ones with the descriptions printed in red are the ones I don’t have.  

No type 4A, but here is a photo of my Type 5 SS#K2270 To my knoledge the type 5 was the last model produced in 1988 the last year of production before they ceased production completely. The Type 5 had a newly designed cutter head that utilized removable blade carriages that the newer small two edged micro blades inserted into. The Type4A was 1987 and still had the standard cutter head.

Hi Mitch, I got one of those. Where did you come up with those dates?  The type 5 is in the 1984 catalog and then the model 100 disappears from all printed material after that.  I know Casey and some guys bought some Type 5s  later but I believe those were NOS. 

Do you know of any original dated material that can place the 100 later than 1984?

Edit: The K means 1983 production. And I believe the 4A had the newly designed cutter head.  Looking for someone that has one of those, the letter code will tell the date produced.  

Hi Gene. Just to add to your files, here are two examples of “real” Skil 100 3rd model in 220 volts. i mean those are not the european “H” type but the real thing. These are the only ones I have ever seen. One is my everyday tool and i sent the other to my friend Mikey Meyer in South Africa; Hope it’s of any interest to you.

Thanks Balsa, I’ll save these good badge pictures.  In some of the 60’s catalogs they said you could specify 220v when ordering a planers. I won’t be including the 220v option in this show but the exhibit will eventually include those.

I have Type 4’s , but don’t remember if they are “A’s”.  Just straight up Type 4’s I think.

Skil provided this which puts dates to the letter codes in the ‘80s.  

Skil 100 H: Just curious, what does “suppressed” (at the bottom of the tag) means?

Most likely surge protection or arc suppression. I’m sure someone could discribe in detail.

It was just what I had always thought, that 1988 was the last year of Skil 100 production and the Type-5 was the newest and last model. I could be wrong about 1988 being the last year of prodution, I think maybe 84 was the last year produced but were still avalable for purchase up to 88. Also, I think you’re right about the 4A having the microblade cutter head.

Funny I was just down there and roughed the bottom on two blanks that I recently glued up.  Never even thought about whether that old Skil was A, B, C, etc.

Here’s the skil McDing sold me a few years back. I don’t know if this adds to your history Gene. Pete C said it was an older one. Mike

Aloha Rooster,

Do you have any of the Skil tools, to set or sharpen the blades?     Instruction manuels, belts and such?      I have some extra stuff, perhaps I can be of some help.

double post

Hi Bill. I have none of that or the know how to use them. I am interested, of course, in learning how to take care of this machine.  Mike

“Supressed” back in those days meant it was lower in EM interference than just the raw motor like in the US.  Kinda like those special spark plugs for your car that didn’t interfere with the radio in the 1960’s.  Europe had those regulations way back which are the symbols on the badge photo from Balsa’s Type H.  Along with that suppression came a “soft-start” feature and a reduction in rpm’s.  Usually this was done with a capacitor which absorbed any short-burst voltage spikes that could radiate down the cord like an antenna.  

Also any motor adapted from a US 110 VAC 60 Hz version (i.e. rewound for 230 VAC) will turn slower at 230 50 Hz due to the reduction in input frequency.  Frequency has to do with the number of segments on the armature and that is mechanical so 50 Hz motors must be designed as such.

Probably more than anyone really wanted to know, but hey I gotta unload this stuff where I can before the Alzheimer’s / dementia  kicks in. 

Rooster,  please PM me and I’ll send you the Skil manual, my secret blade adjustment procedure, and whatever maintenance instructions you need.  That Skil is special, started the long friendship I’ve had with Lowel over the years.    - Pete

There is just something about voltage spikes and stray currents that adds to the thrill of a metal body tool.

all the best to ya, Pete