Playing with G10 and a Rain Gutter

Building a board with a nice old growth stringer (its previous life was a rain gutter) - owner wants a box. 

Had some G10 scraps on the floor and some stringer cut offs. 

Here is what I came up with. 

3 coats of epoxy to seal it up  

fin template is a Rev D that Bill was gracious enough to pass along to me a few years back. Works incredibly. 

Files are huge - wouldn’t seem to let me upload my smaller ones ??? 

Sick little slide show… dope as always

Never considered the possibility of making a fin in that manner. 

Looks awesome

Top notch, as usual.  G10 looks cool wth some gloss on it.  Don’t think I’ve ever seen that.

Aloha Mark,

Your fin came out very nice, indeed.         Well done.

Thanks Bill. 

The G10 is great stuff to work with but it’s heavy. This was a 2fer - looks good and I dropped about 60-70% of the weight. 

Wrc and new school - since being turned onto g10 by Chrisp we had talked about building a fin like this to reduce weight - seemed quite daunting at the time. Actually pretty easy. 

How well does PE gloss resin bond to G10?

I’ve never worked with G10 but I thought it was layers of cloth saturated with epoxy compressed and heated, and I have seen poly refuse to even cure atop well cured epoxy, and just bond poorly to some others.

I’ve been amazed at how light some wood fins I made can be, until their bases broke.  I have clarity issues when many layers of cloth are required, and sometimes even when they are not.

My latest fin panel  for rail fins with flat sides, is 5/16" cedar weighted atop 3 layers of 24oz woven roving laid atop waxed glass, with a heating pad underneath.  Not very transparent but stiff and strong and unusual. 3 layers of 24 oz woven roving winds up around 1/8" thick.  4 layers is too stiff, stiffer than my carbon fiber FCS fins

Poly doesn’t stick at all. 

My first attempt and lightning some fins was to drill big holes and fill with fluffy poly - pushed the plugs right out. 

Its like a non stick pan haha. 

G10 foils very nice, panels are easy to get and they make a nice stiff fin  

Smart.

Good mix of the properties of the materials but it looks good too!