Pole as stringer - rocker?

I’ve seen poles used in cheap foamies - what happens at the end of the board where even a very low rocker would obstruct a straight pole? The rocker means that the end ~>15% of each end of the board is not covered by the stringer. 

Do those sections have a more conventional stringer in them at the ends?

Thinking out of the box, perhaps some of the pole could be left coming out of the board with the advantage of more pole in contact with the skin of the board. 

I couldn’t find anything about this in the archives. 

?

Do they have a more conventional stringer at the ends? No, they usually have no stringer there at all. 

I don’t think a piece of PVC sprinkler pipe is something I would want to experiment with as a stringer.  But I don’t know.  Hynson once routed and glassed PVC pipes(more than one) into a board, but placed several ball barrings into each so that they could roll freely back and forth the length of the board.  He got that sly smile on his face when I asked him about it.  He said it was a noisy board.  Lowel

Actually, it’s spare carbon fibre tubes that I have at the moment. I have some 25-30mm left over from another project and also I think I can get them shipped really cheap too. Anything round and straight is easier to get a hold of. I figure I have to try and use it. Reason I didn’t mention carbon fibre is that I know the thread would get off topic into a discussion into flex! 

Ball bearings and weight. Whatever next?

Well if you do it;  I sure would like to see some pics of how you install it and how you manage to maintain rocker. Would be interesting.

Actually , if you had said carbon fibre tubes in the original post you may have generated more interest , and the topic as carbon fibre poles/tubes is all about flex why else would you put a carbon fibre pole/tube into a board and yes it has been done befor using carbon fibre rods . good luck .

Stark a french brand patented a tech where he inserted carbone tube in core it’s called : pheno eps

I use fiber omega batten in middle of board, now they are a mix of carbon, flox, and glass.

I saw a couple of Hynson boards at the Beach House in Santa Barbara that had water filled tubes inside.  If you picked up the boards and tilted, you could feel (and hear) the water sloshing around.

Greg Mungall has developed a method of routing carbon fiber rods (not tubes) in blanks before glassing.  He places them strategically to maximize flex and resisting breakage.     https://www.instagram.com/p/BlTIcqIH6b5/

Thanks :slight_smile: Rods might bend just enough to fit them into a thick board. I’ll have to order a sample

An idea we had a long time ago was to have steel cable in internal rods and then tighten them up to increase rocker.