polish question

Ive just polished my latest 9’0" and when Ilook down the board in the right light I can see lumps and bumps all over the deck. I did my best not to heat the board up and had the hose on it during the buffing stage.My bottom lam was to a cut lap on the deck so the hot coat was very clean like a gloss coat with zits but no strands or zits to sand out.Can anyone shed some light on this problem??

could be in your sanding job. not positive but is my best guess

sand job. is it mostly around the laps or nose and tail?

That’s a Polish question?

The key to a good polish is in the sanding…buffing with compound only takes out scratches left by the sandpaper.Have fun. R.B.

I spoke to a board builder today and told him that my hotcoat is very neat and has hardly any lumps or bums anywhere.I can sand it with 180 grit sometimes and usually 120 is all I will need.I than sand the entire board to take off the wax.He suggested that I apply more pressure while sanding using 60 or 80 grit and that this would level out the surface much more and result in a smoother polish.Does this sound right???

What kind of powerpad are you using to begin sanding your hotcoat? If the pad is to soft you may be floating over the high spots and missing the low spots. A flairly stiff pad with rougher paper in the beginning will flatten the hot coat out and then you can come back with a softer pad and remove the scratches.

One of the cringe-factors of a shiny glosscoat is that it shows every irregularity in the surface. You need to get the bumps out of the hotcoat. In order to do that, you have to start the sanding process with a hard surface behind the sandpaper: like a harder PowerPad, or a rubber disk. If you don’t have a Milwakee grinder, a wood sanding block works fine. It helps to glue an 1/8 inch thick piece of cork on one side,(use waterproof glue) then you can switch from a semi-hard surface(cork) to a hard surface(wood) as needed. If the initial sanding is done with too soft of a pad, the sandpaper will conform to the irregularities, and they won’t flatten out.

your board builder friend hit the nail on the head. if you look at your board under the shaping (side) lights after you sand you’ll see the lumps and bumps that need touching up before glossing.