Polyurethane pour foam blank making

For 4 months I have been working on building a 12 foot paddle board. I live in southern louisiana and there are no decent styrofoam suppliers within 100 miles of me so I decided to make a pour foam blank. In my research in this forum I saw a few other people who had a similar idea to mine make posts. They were all told they would fail and that it would be too complicated or difficult. I have just SUCCESFULLY molded my own 12’ by 3’ by 8" 2lb pcf polyurethane PUR marine pour foam. It is beautiful and it was easy pz. So to all the experts that said it was gonna be to hard, ha ha ha ha. Na na na na boo boo. This shit is easy. I made an account just to rub it in those angry little faces.

Oh Oh. Here we go again.

Rub it in with pics. It’s EZ-PZ. In the Spirit of Swaylocks; post pics of the process, not finished pics of a Blank you bought.

If it is so easy p z, then maybe go into business for yourself making blanks. Hell, Grubby built an empire on it. You can name the company Na na na na boo boo.
“There are none so blind as those who won’t see”
Oh, and Merry Christmas to all.

“Angry little faces”?!?!?! When the rest of the world is looking wrong, then it is time to take a look inward.
Oh, and Merry Christmas to all.

I guess we had to have some Christmas, “Bah! Humbug!”
For some Yin and Yang:
“God bless us, every one…”

If u find d the other threads of people wanting to do a pour foam pu blanks you will see what I mean by angry little faces. They seriously flamed this guy saying he couldn’t do it.

I’ve lived through a lot of those old threads, and I’ve dug up some of the older ones before I was here, and IIRC the gist of the argument against trying to blow your own blanks was given more as a warning, not out of anger. No one is going to be angry because someone wants to make surfboards.

But guys have wasted a lot of money and time pursuing a dead end. I can’t recall one of those old threads that ended with a success story, and pics of the end product, even when the poster said ‘I’ll prove you guys wrong, and post up pics to prove it’.

A lot of the guys here have been a part of the history of foam development, and they can tell you it was not a cake walk to get where it is today, and it hasn’t proven to be a “backyarder” type of project.

If you have succeeded, and have something to share, then by all means post up your pics and explanation, and if you have a little stoke for the craft, you might also try to include that.

I didn’t mean to come off as rude. I appologize. And I will post a whole diy series of videos on the subject after I finish glassing it. Excited to be the first success story, brand new to board construction but I’m really loving it

For sure it’s possible. With good product you can make pu foam. The main problem is homogeneity of foam, density is not the same accross blank and there is often bubles, Gap, in core. Most of pour foam have no uv stability.

Lot of truth in LeMat’s post. I may have even started a thread about home made blanks a year ago when I was replacing the foam in my boat. I even went so far as tinting some pour foam with white yellow and green tint that I had handy. Not only did my samples not have good uv stability, they had NO uv stability. They turned putrid brown incredibly quickly when exposed to direct sunlight.

Speaking of foam. A year or so ago there was an east coaster who got a bit of press about his new venture making surf blanks. He was a chemical engineer or something. He had his own process and had molds created and everything. There were a couple of articles written about his venture. He vanished. Wonder what happened there.

Mako, I think you are talking about Seth Brunner from Common Surf. He posted here a couple times. Check your PM’s.

Cajun, it would be interesting to see you process and results.

I settled on driving 150 miles round trip for a big block of 1.5# EPS a couple years ago and I do not regret it: low cost, light weight, easy to use, easy to store.

The funny thing about this thread is that if I wanted to build a SUP and a SUP blank was not nearby I would simply go to the local Lowes or Home depot a get some Pink Dow foam. Eazy Peazy.

If you are going to jump in here using the tone contained in your first post without so much as a single photo of this (supposedly) successful blank, then your claims cannot be taken seriously.
You made a blank from pour foam and you say it came out well? Fine. show us a photo of this thing or be written off as a fraud. Telling us you’ll post a video after it’s glassed is a load of BS.

When the rest of the world is looking wrong then it’s time to look inward. I love this quote T. Mike

A Picture of a glassed Blank??? The reason people like Arctic, Millennium,U S Blanks etc don’t produce a Polyurethane SUP Blank is that the weight would be prohibitive. Two Part Pour Foam is even heavier.

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/wood_ogre-builds-14-ft-koa-kaholo-kook-box

These “make my own blank” threads just consistently fall off the grid without any follow-up, or photos, despite the fierce bragodoccio of the original posters…and this one seems to be no exception. Wonder if the Cajun Paddler is ever gonna come thru with the goods.

Cheers Rooster Mike. Happy New Year.