Post Hot Coat Art Work

I’ve just finished putting hotcoat on my board I just made.  I am going to have a high school football team sign in with posca pens so that we can auction it off.  What do you recommend I do to prep to board prior to signing and once signed, the best way to protect it?

Can I just put another very thin Hotcoat layer over the posca pens?  I want to make sure the don’t bleed.

sand the hotcoat, sign, then gloss and polish or gloss and fine sand.  everthing normal.   

[quote="$1"]

I've just finished putting hotcoat on my board I just made.  I am going to have a high school football team sign in with posca pens so that we can auction it off.  What do you recommend I do to prep to board prior to signing and once signed, the best way to protect it?

Can I just put another very thin Hotcoat layer over the posca pens?  I want to make sure the don't bleed.

[/quote]

Do what Gene says....

...after you fix and understand all of the problems in this thread...

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/resin-research-hotcoat-craters-not-sticking

How many dirty hands will be feeling up the board? Might want to provide hand cleaner and gloves too.....

Did you buy Posca brand pens or some off brand...did you do any testing???

I have the real Posca Brand Pens.  I’ve been doing testing on a “skim” board to see what happens. 

Gene,

This may sound like a dumb question but the process stumps me some as I’ haven’t seen it done.  When I sand the hotcoat (320 / 400 grit paper) I assume I am just taking the “shine” off the hotcoat?  If so, it looks really dull.  Is that common and so that the art work “sticks?”

Thanks for all your help?

BTW, fixed the problems in this thread.

...after you fix and understand all of the problems in this thread...

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/resin-research-hotcoat-craters-not-sticking

Moved to a controlled environment (warmer and cleaner) and made sure I didn't touch the board prior to the new hotcoat.  I also didn't use as much Add F and ensured I "brushed" the hotcoat around better and not as thick.  I did try to add a little more hardener and stired slower and longer to get the stuff to really kick.

it will take a while before you understand what ResinHead is talking about.....and it might take you a while to figure out who Gene is.........Gene is a true master....so is ResinHead...

Poly or epoxy?????      same rules most of the time....most of the time....not every time.

I hate football and I don't like most jocks......You could be the Town Hero with your next project!     or the last joke at every party for the next 20 years.....Slow down big guy....Build a few first....before the big Foosball send off......

I'm sure there's more than one jock that wants to see you fail in that big year book photo....oh...you thought those people were your friends...ha ha...think agian.........................jocks hate surfers.....why???  because hot chicks love surfers not jocks....ha...ha....ha.........

might want to do some tests with India Ink....learned it on swaylocks.........Ray

Of course there is the easy route of just shooting a clear lacquer finish from a puff can.  Quick and easy.

Another option -

As the board is unlikely to be ridden (and even if it was) you could rub the shiny off with 480 or 600 wet and dry, get it signed, use a good wax and grease remover (check with posca pen test first of course) to clean up and spray with some good coats of acrylic laquer or other auto clear coat system. Rub back and polish. If it starts to fry a little, use lighter and dryer coats to seal then apply thicker.

I have done artwork on boards and finished in this way without problem, it may not be quite as ‘safe’ as a gloss coat (due to gloss coat being thicker) but it works fine. Think of your car paint, it takes a fair beating and if you scratch it that same scratch would most likely scratch through your gloss coat on a board too.

The only real safe way to protect artwork is paint it on the foam.

heh, Johnny beat me to it :slight_smile:

Thanks.   I’ve built a few just simple without the art work…just pen lines or resin tints and pigments.  It’s been about 30 years since I did this a lot more so trying to refresh the noggan given all the crashes it’s taken…

Just sand the board and have them sign it.Gloss like gene says. it’s very simple. sometimes you guys make mountains out of mole hills (grandad used that term a lot with me)