Posting Pictures...

If you are trying to post a picture, from your computer files directly to the body of the message, try this...

2. At the bottom of your message, you'll see a bar that reads "Attachment", "Browse", a little box that reads "inline" and a button that reads "Upload attachment." Click browse, navigate to the location and highlight filename of your image. If you've resized it, choose the resized version of the image. Click the "inline" box and then click "Upload attachment" button.

...John Mellor...

What 'inline' means, is that you want it in the message, not just a click-on link at the bottom. To do that, check the box beside the 'browse' button you have been using to upload attachments from your files, go through the same procedure, except when you have uploaded 1, 2 or whatever, you then position the cursor where you'd like to put the picture, click on the square picture icon John mentioned, when it comes up you'll have a menu box, your choices are Image Location or Inline Image. Choose Inline Image. Up will come a list of the uploaded pix connected with that post. Pick the one you want there, hit Submit and there you are. If you've uploaded several, choose the one you want, then repeat where you want the next one.....

... Doc...

3. Go to your message and place cursor where you want the image to appear. Now go to the area above your message and find the little box with a picture of mountains (second line below the cut and paste icons.) Click the box with the mountains... a box should appear and you will need to click the "inline image" circle and then click the image you want to have appear. Click "submit" and image should appear in the body of your message.

And… try to use all lower case names for your images. Something like ‘whatsit.jpg’ seems to work every time, but something like ‘Whatsit.jpg’, ‘WHATSIT.jpg’, ‘whatsit.JPG’ or ‘whatsit.Jpg’ may not work. Likewise, image names like ‘whats it.jpg’ instead of ‘whats_it.jpg’ may only come through as links rather than an inline image. Not always, but it can get glitchy sometimes. Especially in the Glossary posts.

hope that’s of use

doc…

Thank YOU!! Now… how do I get my pictures smaller?$%&**@? It keeps daying their TOO big. I used to know how but something got moved! I can’t seem to do it any more.

Les

Try this link. Once you’ve downloaded and figured the program out, the “apply recommended” button seems to do the trick. It’s free and has received xlnt reviews.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

if you have adobe photoshop or adobe photoshop elements it has a “save for web” command that will downsize your photos nicely. Cropping photos will also make them smaller, both in file size and in what’s in the picture.

You can also reduce the size of your files by changing the quality of a jpg. Within limits, this helps too (you can reduce the photo quality quite a bit without even noticing it, particularly if it was a hi-resolution photo to start with.)

Hi Les

Yep, I know how that works: a computer dies or gets changed a bit and it’s …‘ok, where did that go?’ As I tend to go from one donated/junked/‘somebody else gave up on it and i fixed it’ computer to the next about every three months, I know just where you’re coming from.

In addition to John and Keith’s suggestions, let me also toss in a few-

Windows Paint has a resize function in the Image menu- use Stretch/Skew to resize it, with a ‘stretch’ of less than 100%. Similar stuff in IrfanView ( click the link for the site- nice freeware ) or XnView ( with versions that run on just about any OS except ‘mac classic’ ) which have some other useful stuff

Now, if your images are too big file-size-wise, it may be something else. For photos and scans, a jpg image usually has a smaller file size than a GIF, TIFF or ( heaven help us ) a bitmapped bmp file or one of the many file formats digital cameras use. For sketches and diagrams, the gif format is usually the way to go. You can futz with the compression setting on jpgs to make the image size smaller or the number of colors it uses. For converting, or resizing or combinations, I’m used to IrfanView, but I have used XnView in the past and liked it. Both are regularly updated with new file format add-ons and plug ins so that they can deal with just about anything that comes along.

hope that’s of use

doc…

hi ‘Doc’, Paul, and Keith !

My question is this…

When using ‘microsoft photo editor’, and trying to reduce so as to post an existing ‘BITMAP’ [of ,say, “800kbs”], do I have to

1. start at “100 %” [ so I can see it without ‘fuzzy’ edges ?

2. then reduce it by [?how ever many percent?] to get it down to “87kb” or whatever, in order for it to post.

…Because doing that, the thing is SO small by then, no one can see it [???]

WHAT, if any, is the solution here, please ? I think it’s windows ‘xp’ , the programme my computer runs, if that means anything [it means nothing to me, the semi-illiterate user!]

… THANKS , guys !

ben

Hi Ben,

Dammit, I wrote a very good reply and the server picked that moment to crash. Alas -

In a mediocre attempt to re-create it:

Ok, for starters, the bitmap image is a huge file. It’s their nature. Every steenking pixel is mapped, with colors and such, so it’s a huge file size item. If your MS Photo Editor has a Save As option, save it as a ________.jpg file, which format has compression built in and can make a gigantic 800Kb bitmapped file into a managable 50Kb or less. For the mathematics freaks like me, the JPG format incorporates Fast Fourier Transforms to make a semi-regular pattern into a wave form with additions.

For stuff like my cheezy Windows Paint sketches, save as a ____.gif file, which can make a huge ____.bmp into something like 10Kb or less. I hesitate to hypothesise on the algorthym involved, but my guess is that it saves in a semi-bitmapped format utilising only the pixels that actually have something on them. Wild guess, of course: in my little family, I’m the hardware knuckle-dragger, my fiancee’ ( as of this evening ) is the software lady.

Now, if MS Photo Editor won’t do that for ya, then my suggestion is to try the XP flavor of Irfanview. It will convert all kinds of things into all kinds of other things,and making a more compact image out of a ______.bmp file is something it does very well. Hit www.irfanview.com to get it and the plug-ins for really odd formats.

hope that’s of use

doc…

Ok thanks heres a test.

And This is also a cool photo, surf in sydney harbour!

Quote:
... my fiancee' ( as of this evening ) is the software lady.

doc…

Hey Doc…congrats!

Doc,

Congratulations and all the best with the engagement and marriage!

Kind Regards,

Matt.

so let’s try post a shot… Damn it works! This is a 10’3" single fin gun I just made from a 10’4" Clark second. Total cost was $80 the blank, $23 the resin, $26 the glass, say a few bucks for sandpaper and tools… less than $135!

Now I have to ride it…

Quote:

If you are trying to post a picture, from your computer files directly to the body of the message, try this…

1. You have the image stored on your computer and you know it’s location and filename. I.E. “my pictures”, “my documents”, wherever. It also has to be within a certain file size limitation.

1. At the bottom of your message, you’ll see a bar that reads “Attachment”, “Browse”, a little box that reads “inline” and a button that reads “Upload attachment.” Click browse, navigate to the location and highlight filename of your image. If you’ve resized it, choose the resized version of the image. Click the “inline” box and then click “Upload attachment” button.

2. Go to your message and place cursor where you want the image to appear. Now go to the area above your message and find the little box with a picture of mountains (second line below the cut and paste icons.) Click the box with the mountains… a box should appear and you will need to click the “inline image” circle and then click the image you want to have appear. Click “submit” and image should appear in the body of your message.

…John Mellor…

What ‘inline’ means, is that you want it in the message, not just a click-on link at the bottom. To do that, check the box beside the ‘browse’ button you have been using to upload attachments from your files, go through the same procedure, except when you have uploaded 1, 2 or whatever, you then position the cursor where you’d like to put the picture, click on the square picture icon John mentioned, when it comes up you’ll have a menu box, your choices are Image Location or Inline Image. Choose Inline Image. Up will come a list of the uploaded pix connected with that post. Pick the one you want there, hit Submit and there you are. If you’ve uploaded several, choose the one you want, then repeat where you want the next one…

… Doc…

here you go, ‘Wildy’, and others…THIS thread almost NEEDS to stay at the top of the forum, as it’s a very frequently asked question, in my opinion, anyway. And, HEAPS of people want to share their shots to encourage others, and share the stoke… I know I want to anyway…and it seems I’m not alone in that!

hope this helps ! 

"chip"
Quote:

here you go, ‘Wildy’, and others…THIS thread almost NEEDS to stay at the top of the forum, as it’s a very frequently asked question, in my opinion, anyway. And, HEAPS of people want to share their shots to encourage others, and share the stoke… I know I want to anyway…and it seems I’m not alone in that!

hope this helps !

“chip”

I agree, this needs to be a “Sticky”. :slight_smile:

thanks ,guys , for making it a “header” [?“sticky”] or whatever, now we can find it quickly…

My next question is… when it’s a thumbnail ‘bitmap’ someone sends us or posts , HOW do [if at all] we get it BIGGER ??

… here’s an example ’ T.F.A.D.’ [at “Surfer”] had, which I posted on the 'let’s see some artwork ’ thread, then discovered it was TINY !! [he said I could use his shots by the way] : -

… Is there any way to enlarge THESE to , say, at least 4 x 6 " size shots on the computer screen ?

THANKS, guys, your help would be / is MOST appreciated !! …

ben

Hi Ben,

You can do just about anything…but there’s payoffs and penalties. If you have the original, larger image it’s one thing, ya just go with that. But enlarging a small image, especially JPG format image, that can get kinda interesting.

For instance - your original image was only so big, usually 72 dots per inch, so many pixels wide by so many high. And a bitmapped image? So, ya have the maximum amount of info yer gonna get from it, as opposed to a JPG or GIF that can mebbe be tweaked a little. You only have so many dots to work with, y’see. Doubling the size ( using a Resize/Resample function in the photo editor of your choice) gets you this:

Not bad… but you notice that the edges are getting a little fuzzy. You can tweak how you resize it, depending on the software you use to do it, and get some slightly better edges, less hazy and fuzzy. What that does is it kinda guesses what’s in between the dots in the original pic and puts something there and sometimes it works very well…and sometimes it doesn’t.

But when ya start going a lot bigger…ya just run out of information, in a way, and then you get something like this…

I actually ran this through a ‘Sharpen’ filter in the graphix software and still, it’s awfully fuzzy.

However…don’t give up hope quite yet. If, say, ya go with an original scan of a photo, you can scan it first at one DPI resolution and then with a higher DPI, thumbnail from the first one and full-on image from the second one. Or, if you jiggered around with the original image to make a smaller pic in the first place, of course.

Or, there is this;

If you think about it, interpolating what’s between the dots , between two known data points, and getting a useful answer, that can be powerfully useful to do. Engineering, science, manipulating shots from spy satellites, all kinds of stuff. There is software out there that can do it, and it’s likely to be out there in an image manipulation program, I just don’t know about it.

hope that’s of use

doc…

Testing this ‘inline’ stuff. But I only seem to be able to get the ‘Basic Editor’ so I don’t see the button with the mountains.?? So… I’ll not 'inline and see if it still attaches the pic.

Les

Hi Les.

The Basic Editor is what’s biting ya - but you can change that. Click on Edit Profile up towards the top, right betwixt to Main Index and Messages. When you get that page up, do the Display Settings link, swing down a bit and change your Post writer/editor: setting to Advanced Editor.

From that , Note: The advanced editor requires Internet Explorer version 5.5 or greater, or a browser based on Mozilla 1.4 or greater , so ya may have to do a little upgrading to either IE 6 or the most recent Mozilla Firefox, either of which will work just fine.

Then, you’re armed and dangerous. You can do the stuff we’ve been talking about above and stuff the seagull in just like this

that work for ya?

hope that’s of use

doc…

Yea! Thanks Doc, I tried editing my profile and found that it didn’t work, prob. older Expolorer. I now have FoxFire, nice! So here’s an inline pic test…

It works! Thats my daughter on one of my boards.

Les