pressure ding problem

I have 2 surfboards that I made that I use often. I am finding a lot of pressure dings on them…even cracks along with them. I used 2 layers of 4 oz. resin for the deck. Is this not enough? It is so bad on one board that my stringer is the thickest part of the board now…the rest of the deck has been compressed about 1/4". Is this normal or is there something I can do to make the deck stronger? Thanks.

Besides glass lay up there are several other factors. A higher foam density will help. Remove as little foam as you can from the deck. The higher density foam is on the outside. What is you weight? Heavy people more glass or higher foam density. Small boards less glass, longboards more glass. Anthony>>> I have 2 surfboards that I made that I use often. I am finding a lot of > pressure dings on them…even cracks along with them. I used 2 layers of 4 > oz. resin for the deck. Is this not enough? It is so bad on one board that > my stringer is the thickest part of the board now…the rest of the deck > has been compressed about 1/4". Is this normal or is there something > I can do to make the deck stronger? Thanks. http://www.viser.net/~anthwind/

I was thinking that I may have shaved too much off the deck too. How much more glass on the deck do you think I should use. I’m no bony person. My boards are 7’ and 7’8". I try to keep them light. Do you think a layer of 6 oz. and 4 oz. on the deck would be good? I was thinking of sanding the hot coat of my one really compressed board and adding another layer of 4 oz glass to it to try to save the board.

I was thinking that I may have shaved too much off the deck too. How much > more glass on the deck do you think I should use. I’m no bony person. My > boards are 7’ and 7’8". I try to keep them light. Do you think a > layer of 6 oz. and 4 oz. on the deck would be good? I was thinking of > sanding the hot coat of my one really compressed board and adding another > layer of 4 oz glass to it to try to save the board. Try beefing up the glass in specific areas and keeping it center balanced —even with the ultra light team guys I’m useing either 2 x 4oz deck with a 4oz deck patch or straight 3 x 4oz deck with one layer trimmed at the interior lap line and then the bottom rail line then full wrap -----and as far as wieght goes I doubt if the performance difference between super-blue and super -green is worth the dent factor on a 7- 8’ board----bottom line its great to have a fly-wieght board but the lifespan is always minimal at best

Mate The glass job is only as good as the foam under it. The foam you used is the problem not the glass job. You need to look at a different foam supply. I know you guys like to only buy USA made product, I do under stand why. There has been a few posting where boards have bad dents. Its the foam not the glass job. Ok up untill Xmas this year my foam had the same problem, boards with 2 x 6oz decks would still sink or dent, leaving the stringer high.So we worked on a hole new foam. The foam we now blow will stay good with a single 4oz on the deck, still depress a small amout, nothing like the old mix with 2 x 6oz decks. Yes the blanks take a little longer to shape because the foam is harder but you have a better product when finished.weight is lighter, the foam whiter. All the best Rabbit http://www.southcoastfoam.com.au

Thanks for the response rabbit. The only problem is that all I have available to me is Clark Foam. I live in Miami and the only place that has surfboard building materials is in west palm beach (1hr.15 min. north of me). I only build boards for myself and have only sold 1. I am kind of restricted to what is available. But if I ever get a chance to try another kind of foam I will.

thanks CBd. I was thinking of putting a deck patch of 4 oz. glass on now. I didn’t know that pros even used 3 4 oz. layers on their deck. My 2 boards are already made and used. I was going to sand down the deck hot coat and put the deck patch on. Any tips on how to do this effectively? I was going to use hot coat resin on the fiberglass patch so I can sand the edges down. I know I have to remove the wax from the glass before I hot coat again.

thanks CBd. I was thinking of putting a deck patch of 4 oz. glass on now. > I didn’t know that pros even used 3 4 oz. layers on their deck. My 2 > boards are already made and used. I was going to sand down the deck hot > coat and put the deck patch on. Any tips on how to do this effectively? I > was going to use hot coat resin on the fiberglass patch so I can sand the > edges down. I know I have to remove the wax from the glass before I hot > coat again. Don’t use sanding resin for the lay-up or you’ll have to sand most of the glass off to reach the resin inbetween the weave. Aloha Kokua