Pure fun

Do you think that today`s surfers are having any more fun than those of the past? Dale

Do you think that today`s surfers are having any more fun than those of > the past? No. regards, Håvard

i am.

Do you think that today`s surfers are having any more fun than those of > the past?>>> Dale NO, Kooks nowadays are not intimidated about dropping in on you because they haven’t been punched out for their rude actions, and Mexicans have been scouting surfer’s car’s, finding hidden keys, and robbing the contents for the past 2-3 years at my favorite beach, then 100-150 surf ‘DIVA’s’ unload out for their ‘surfclass’ at 9:00 sitting like bouy’s in the pit! The kook instructors can barely surf themselves no less instructing on proper wave possesion-which furthers the kook food chain, resulting in my grom surf team being run over by dangerous pearling longboarder non-athletes resulting in ding repair and further enforcing the shortboard/longboard hate…oh well, you asked!

I agree with Hungry, I didn’t get actually dusted by the Ala Moana moke, but had it “explained” to me in terms I would understand better and he was the one who dropped in. There are no consiquences for stupidity or plain lack of the rules of the road and any follow up of heated verbalism is met with ,“I’ll get my lawyer,/the cops”. Yeh, I’m still having fun, but I’ll call it golden years fun, now that the insatiable desire to surf has mello’d to a more “mature” outlook.

Do you think that today`s surfers are having any more fun than those of > the past?>>> Dale YES http://www.cooperfishsurfboards.com/gene.html

…I think that where you live has a lot to do with the fun factor…When I lived in Baja Oregon, crowds, peer pressure, and junk like that molded me to ride certain boards in a certain way, or else the upper echelon of the local surfing elite would dismiss you as not worthy of respect…and that DOES influence your fun factor… Also, as we get further from our birth, we are more experienced and confident in who we are and what we do…Also, our expectactions are more realistic about what any surf session will give us, both physically and emotionally…I feel that our greatest disapoinments in life come when reality does not meet expectations… Finally, living in an uncrowded surf zone WILL re-spark the stoke we all felt as we fell in love with the surf thing…The quality of the environment WILL affect the quality of the experience… Share waves and spread the love… Paul

Dale, to answer your question: Do you think that today`s surfers are having any more fun than those of the past?.. If I saw more shortboareds smiling, I might think so…

Dale, to answer your question: Do you think that today`s surfers are > having any more fun than those of the past?..>>> If I saw more shortboareds smiling, I might think so… Surfing is very personal to me, I don’t b.s. in the parkinglot or the lineup much at all, it’s all business out there. I rotate between peaks, go left, right, inside, outside, avoid macho confrontations with obvious equally aggressive local hotshots, I’m basically on my own to joust(outmaneuver not cutoff) for set waves although my kids and a pack of hot groms are riding my shapes inside. You’ve got to ‘take’ your fun, because this sport/art as you know is mostly ‘greedy’ with local pecking orders, longboarders hoarding the waves, kook bouys in the way. But the one thing that irks me the most is when a hot surfer(i.e. read board with multible sponsor stickers!), looks at you and drops right in to relieve you of your, aged but still effective ‘off the lip’…and to the kid that relieved me of my wave at “D” St. the other day, sorry kid, keep an ice pack on that right kneecap cause this old dude still play’s by old school rules.

You’ve got to ‘take’ your fun, > because this sport/art as you know is mostly ‘greedy’ with local pecking > orders, longboarders hoarding the waves, kook bouys in the way. But the > one thing that irks me the most is when a hot surfer(i.e. read board with > multible sponsor stickers!), looks at you and drops right in to relieve > you of your, aged but still effective ‘off the lip’…and to the > kid that relieved me of my wave at “D” St. the other day, sorry > kid, keep an ice pack on that right kneecap cause this old dude still > play’s by old school rules. -----And if you stall out on your hybrid to accomodate the youngster it’s too late, leashes are tangled and he errupts into “F*#+ U” — I paddle away struggling to get over it considering the source. I have no use for anger in the line up! Unfortunately some people never grow up but to argue with an idiot is to become one! Mahalo, Rich

Do you think that today`s surfers are having any more fun than those of > the past?>>> Dale Pure Fun? Ask Hank.

Do you think that today`s surfers are having any more fun than those of > the past?>>> Dale No way. The younger guys/groms having been raised in this “dog-eat-dog” environment thinks today is the best. It’s all about attitude. Every “go-out” is contest to see who gets the most and best waves regardless of what they have to do to get them (read “snake”). Us “older” guys began surfing when crowds were relatively mild and the biggest concern was staying warm with nothing but a wetsuit vest on here in chilly Santa Cruz. Sure the ‘drop-ins" happened then but nothing compared to today’s mob. I still have great sessions but they are fewer and farther in between when not dealing with some wave hog, learner or a grom whose snaking and yelling at everyone and know he’s under 18 and can’t be "disciplined’ for his shitty attitude (read stuffed in a garbage can). Big problem in SC.

Do you think that today`s surfers are having any more fun than those of > the past?>>> Dale I would have to say that I still get just as jazzed on a good day than ever. To put it into better perspective, now that I’m older, I am probably even more excited as I know that in Florida the really GOOD days are so few and far between. You gotta seize the day . I have more fun with my boys at the home break and we drop in on each other and trash talk each other and just have alot of fun together. When some rowdy gives us the stink eye and “harshes our mellow” we shame him outa the water. And that’s even more fun. So all in all I’d say we have more fun today than yesterday. We just appreciate it more. JC

Surfing is very personal to me, I don’t b.s. in the parkinglot or the > lineup much at all, it’s all business out there. I rotate between peaks, > go left, right, inside, outside, avoid macho confrontations with obvious > equally aggressive local hotshots, I’m basically on my own to > joust(outmaneuver not cutoff) for set waves although my kids and a pack of > hot groms are riding my shapes inside. You’ve got to ‘take’ your fun, > because this sport/art as you know is mostly ‘greedy’ with local pecking > orders, longboarders hoarding the waves, kook bouys in the way. But the > one thing that irks me the most is when a hot surfer(i.e. read board with > multible sponsor stickers!), looks at you and drops right in to relieve > you of your, aged but still effective ‘off the lip’…and to the > kid that relieved me of my wave at “D” St. the other day, sorry > kid, keep an ice pack on that right kneecap cause this old dude still > play’s by old school rules. I’m w/ you my elderly brutha! Gotta teach these kids some respect because they obviosley have none. The worst is when you get abused at the spot you’ve been surfing for 20 yrs. by some asshole that wasn’t even sperm when you were surfing there back in the 60’s or 70’s. Our spot here in N.Florida is so outa control it’s just damn depressing. If you don’t go w/ 10 of your buds and clear out a peak to totally dominate the area you risk huge hostility. Really not what OHANA is all about. JC

No way. The younger guys/groms having been raised in this > “dog-eat-dog” environment thinks today is the best. It’s all > about attitude. Every “go-out” is contest to see who gets the > most and best waves regardless of what they have to do to get them (read > “snake”). Us “older” guys began surfing when crowds > were relatively mild and the biggest concern was staying warm with nothing > but a wetsuit vest on here in chilly Santa Cruz. Sure the ‘drop-ins" > happened then but nothing compared to today’s mob. I still have great > sessions but they are fewer and farther in between when not dealing with > some wave hog, learner or a grom whose snaking and yelling at everyone and > know he’s under 18 and can’t be "disciplined’ for his shitty attitude > (read stuffed in a garbage can). Big problem in SC. Dicipline is taught with an unleashed 10’ 0" double 10oz volan and a 10" malibu fin. Oops…sorry dude…I tried to hold on to it but it just got away! This is affectionatly known as Kook bowling or Bowling for shortboarders. Try it mikey you’ll like it! jc

Dicipline is taught with an unleashed 10’ 0" double 10oz volan and a > 10" malibu fin. Oops…sorry dude…I tried to hold on to it > but it just got away! This is affectionatly known as Kook bowling or > Bowling for shortboarders. Try it mikey you’ll like it! jc Your suggestion put an evil grin on my face. The mental image of running over one of these “rugrats” is so compelling. I try to stay calm in these situations and say to myself that the grom is just a kid and too stupid to know any better but then I think of all the “cool” groms I do know and realize these kids really are “assholes,” plain and simple, and turn a fun session into a bad vibe situation. But I got to ask " How did these punks get this way? I don’t ever remember such an constant, intense( vicious) vibe when I was their age. Crowded lineups, stupid adults(bad role models)? All the above? I don’t know.

I would have to say that I still get just as jazzed on a good day than > ever. To put it into better perspective, now that I’m older, I am probably > even more excited as I know that in Florida the really GOOD days are so > few and far between. You gotta seize the day . I have more fun with my > boys at the home break and we drop in on each other and trash talk each > other and just have alot of fun together. When some rowdy gives us the > stink eye and “harshes our mellow” we shame him outa the water. > And that’s even more fun. So all in all I’d say we have more fun today > than yesterday. We just appreciate it more. JC JC- Well put. Since I’m a working stiff I really do appreciate it more on the days off from work when the swell is happening and all the right things come together p.s- hasn’t happened this summer. Had to work last week through the only good south swell we’ve had all summer. Super bummer.

JC- Well put. Since I’m a working stiff I really do appreciate it more on > the days off from work when the swell is happening and all the right > things come together p.s- hasn’t happened this summer. Had to work last > week through the only good south swell we’ve had all summer. Super bummer. I think it was worse around '86-'87 when all-of-the-sudden longboards became a way washed up shortboarders could win an easy trophy at a contest(oops all of mine say '87-'89!)and steal waves. Now that I am a rehabilitated longboarder, i can see what complete dicks most of them were/are! Shortboarders need love too! Put a kook on a Retro Noserider and it’s like putting a bull in a China shop! Actually moving around to spread your annoying butt around minimizes antagonizing any particular psycotic out in the water, it works for me, I get alot of waves without cutting off the local longboard(loser)club, although I’m dropped in on alot(after an intimidating snap off the lip above his head), I usually shine it on if it’s an unsuspecting beginner, they can be surfed around…you goooooo surf vets!

Wow…so much anger. How can you folks have fun when you’re angry. All these complaints are the same one’s I heard or spoke 30 years ago. Fun is a state of mind. If you look at a crowded lineup as a challange to your manhood (or any other hood), it’s not going to be fun. You can go somewhere else or go out with the idea of sharing a few, maybe get one to yourself, and maybe make some new friends. Bummer becomes fun. Talk to a grom, tell him what the line-ups are, talk about the rules with a smile. But then I wouldn’t surf Windansea, Swami’s, Trestles, Huntington, Malibu, Oxnard, Fairgrounds, 'con, Hook, Point, the Rivermouth, the Lane or Fort Point for “fun”. To answer your question Dale, for me it’s the same. It’s a state of mind, attitude, whatever. Even after a crappy, crowded session, when I get out of the water, I think of all the schmucks that don’t surf and will never know what its like and I get a smile…If it’s not fun, why bother (that means one less in the lineup and more fun for the rest of us)… Newbs

What’s Dale’s answer???Hmmm???