Pure fun

12 years ago I quit surfing,got tried of the attitudes and crowds. I put > the board in the rafters and walked away. Last summer my 7 yr. old > daughter saw my board in shed the and wanted to see it. Then she wanted to > know if I surfed. I explaned that it had been a long time since I had. > Then she asked “Can you teach me?” How can any father say no. > Next weekend I took her out, showed her how to wax her board how to wear > the leash how to pop up I then took her out and pushed her into her frist > wave she poped to her feet and rode till she burried her fin in the sand > (about 10 feet)steeps off and is just beamming I’m so stoked from watching > her that I’m hooked again.Now I’m back surfing every chance I get. I stay > away from crowds. I’m willing to surf smallerwaves to surf by my self. > When I go I always drive all the way down to the inlet just to check it > out. Always the same 100 people out all attitude. Same reason I quit > before. I drive 1/2 a mile back up the beach I can find waves, maybe not > as good, but better because I’m out by my self, maybe 1 or 2 others. Best > days are when its just me and my daughter. Can’t wait for my son to get > old enough to surf.I don’t understand how I went 12 years with out doing > this. Is surfing pure fun, no its more than that, way more. My story is pretty much the same. I was away from it for about 15 years until my daughter discovered my old board in the basement. She asked to teach her, I pushed her into the wave and we have been going ever since. She was 12 then and now she is 17. The best days are when we are out together. I get as big a thrill from watching her have a good day as I do from myself having a good day. I don’t fight the crowds and find my own spot. Surfing is pure fun and I will be forever greatful for my daughter getting me back into it. Have fun and enjoy your kids, they truly are a gift. Frank