Putting out fires with gasoline...............................

Thanks for everything Herb. You definitley were the most important person in getting me into this mess. Now because of you I drive 8 hours to hang out with a bunch of old guys who all surf better than me. The tools you gave us are all being used regularily along with your tips. The school thing has casued me to cutback on swaylocks too so I know the feeling. When I drive up pch I look for your truck everytime I go past the beach. Me and my mates bring your name up in conversations on a weekly basis too. Darren

ps. I am glad you are cuttign back on your computer time before you cut into your surfing and skating time.

Bummer, Herb. Will miss your ideas and sincerity.

Hope you feel lifted.

Aloha.

Dang, Herb. I understand the family commitment. But, this place won’t be the same without you. To me you are one of the “fish guys” that got me on the right track with my own fishes. At Sway’s 04 you complimented me on one of my fishes. Coming from you that was HUGE. I’ll never give that board up.Anyway, it was an honor to shake your hand and talk boards, daughters, and dogs. Not neccessarily in that order. Oh well, Herb, best wishes and hope to see and surf with you again. Mike

Herb - I don’t chime in often but, I must here to express my appreciation for all of your input. If not for your generosity, my glassing and painting especially would still be in the dark ages. As Paul said, your “thinking outside the box” has advanced our pursuits with benefits that will bear fruit for years to come.

Swaylocks was a multi daily check for me when I discovered it. There was a small town feel to the place and the innocent 100% pure stoke of Ramon and others. I felt like a grem again, sitting on the beach with the Big Kahunas letting me sit around the fire and listen to their tales.

Hope you’re checking this thread so I can thank you for sharing.

Pray for surf - then go. Pete

Damn!!

Growth is good, but change is weird.

“Old Shapers never die, they just plane on a higher level” – Herb Spitzer

Herb, what can I say that hasn’t already been said by so many already? Perhaps I’ll just reiterate what others have said.

Without question you are one of the most unique people I have ever met in my short 35 years, earth time. You are also one of the most generous. You gave me board a couple of years ago. You sent me superchargers. You privately and publicly encouraged me with this mission and always made me feel this place is way more than the sum of it’s parts.

You’ve been here from the start. You’ve provided countless shapers with solid, quality information for the pure stoke of it. You my friend, are one of the pillars of Swaylock’s. You set the standard and the example. You are SWAYFUL!!

We’ve chilled in Big Sur & Long Beach and I know this isn’t the last we’ll see of Herb Spitzer. I totally respect your decision and I hope you’ll stop in and visit us every now and then. Never say never 'cause never’s forever.

Seems like a tide change the idea that you are actually moving on.

Take care, stay in touch. And thanks for everything.

SA 2004 - Big Sur

herb: god bless , enjoy the family and be SURE to have some FUN now and then…it was real, thanks

HUH?

science fiction…the guy in the engine room on the inter galactic craft is always down there makin the ship run…

the fact that you are turning off the comm link …

I for one wish to believe that you are stiill makin the ddamn thing go

… Denial is a tool…

…My father never died,and you will still be here,contributing to sttraighten out the abject deluded stupids with a 'tough love ’ comment…as we were so effectively schooled by those we chose to listen to and hear…all things must pass just like this lunch I’m eating right now… …In a pinch I may loft into a trance and channel your spirit to get outa a jam…

and if you take off in front of me I might just kiss your ass

it will be easier if you switch stance and stay high enough up on the wave so I don’yt have to bend down…ambrose…

You have sung to me in my aloneness,

and I of your longings have built a tower

in the sky.

But now our sleep has fled and our

dream is over, and it is no longer dawn.

The noontide is upon us and our half

waking has turned to fuller day, and we

must part.

If in the twilight of memory we should

meet once more, we shall speak again

together and you shall sing to me a

deeper song.

And if our hands should meet in another

dream we shall build another tower

in the sky.

So saying he made a signal to the seamen,

and straightaway they weighed anchor

and cast the ship loose from its moorings,

and they moved eastward.

And a cry came from the people as from

a single heart, and it rose into the dusk

and was carried out over the sea like a

great trumpeting.

“The Prophet” - Kahlil Gibran

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

We are forever in your debt.

Laters Herb! Sounds like you’ll be missed lots. I look forward to getting those superchargers, so don’t forget me now! Send me an e-mail also if you don’t mind. We’ll get a surf next time i’m up your way!

New Beginnings

Shifty peaks of Spring

break, reform and churn

and beneath the spume

the swell builds and glides,

pitching and spilling

hollow on a shoal.

Emerging I see

a searing pink sphere

descending slowly

to rest and vanish.

Its pastel sarong

flames the horizon.

The furnace cools.

A metallic air

hangs in gray stillness

over the white sand.

Time is like cold steel

forging images.

Eve sheathes her sword

and hovers cloaked

in gray mist – goes away

into her hidden

nightly mystery

within the first star.

I am gone with her

to help steer that sun,

which warms another world

wet with life like ours.

Here another morn’

begins and alien shapes

play new beginnings

reshaping powers.

My life is made rich by the characters I get to meet as I wander down the path…Thanks Herb. You’ve made a lot of us very wealthy.

Aloha Herb,

I always loved reading what you had to say, I will miss your input.

Herb, mind if I join you for a while?

like so many, i will miss your contributions, point of fact dialogue and humor.i am thankful to have met you and watch you surf in sur '03.but, as we all know, a guy ha sgot to do what he’s got to do…best of luck and peace and prosperity for you and your family…perhaps, at the least, we will see you at next camp-out.take care.

matt

Sure,Rob

Thanks to everyone…

This will be my last post for awhile(as my wife goes for the rolling pin). 

I’m not leaving on a sour note ,here…but an uplifting one…

…A BIG Aloha and Mahalo to ALL of you…

…You guys are SURFING in my opinion…

…You ALL make me proud to be a Waterman…

…Herb