Question for the old salts...

This question is directed toward the long-time shapers that contribute to this site. Do you still ride boards shaped by other shapers or are the majority of the boards in your quiver self-made? Under what conditions would you order a board from another shaper and what kind of board would it be? Or is there a paticular surfboard from the past or present that you have always coveted?

George - Hate to admit it but I probably qualify. This answer could also apply to “my first new board” question. After having been at it for roughly 30 years - patching used ones and making quite a few of my own, I broke down and ordered my first new board - a custom Phil Edward’s model. Still have it. Since then, I’ve bought one other new board - a custom Skip Frye “Eagle” model that I also still have. That’s it - 35 years of surfing and a total of two new “store bought” boards.

It was 1970 I was 17 years old and had been shaping for 3 years. I was surfing well on my own equipment and was progressing in my shaping at a steady rate. I run into Nat Young at George’s surf center and he procedes to tell me how much better I’d surf on a “professionally” built board (one of his Weber models). Well when Nat tells you something you tend to believe it because after all its fricken NAT for chrissakes!! So I order a board from him and waited FOREVER for it. I finally get the board AND IT’S THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT I’D EVER RIDDEN. ALOHA, TOM

It was 1970 I was 17 years old and had been shaping for 3 years. I was > surfing well on my own equipment and was progressing in my shaping at a > steady rate. I run into Nat Young at George’s surf center and he procedes > to tell me how much better I’d surf on a “professionally” built > board (one of his Weber models). Well when Nat tells you something you > tend to believe it because after all its fricken NAT for chrissakes!! So I > order a board from him and waited FOREVER for it. I finally get the board > AND IT’S THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT I’D EVER RIDDEN.>>> ALOHA, TOM …That’s funny!!!..I still own a Sammy Hawk from the late 80’s,that I still ride.I even bought a board of the racks at the old Randy Lewis shop in 85’…I plan on buying a fish from MasterBrom,soon…I would really like to try a Cooper,sk,or JP,even would like to have a ratboy surftech just to say I have one! But to be truthful,I prefer to ride my own.They are an extention of my free spirit.Herb

But to be truthful,I prefer to ride my own.They are an extention of my > free spirit.Herb At-a-boy Herb! Your still gonna be getting all the Magic I can conjure up for that fish!

At-a-boy Herb! Your still gonna be getting all the Magic I can conjure up > for that fish! For me its the same kind of thing Herb, love to shape and ride my own, love to try new things, some times from myself some times from another shaper. Going treu a lot of boards this way, but keeping the ones I like. Ordered a fish from Steve Brom to, can’t wait to give it a go. Just kids with toys. Peter Rijk

For me its the same kind of thing Herb, love to shape and ride my own, > love to try new things, some times from myself some times from another > shaper. Going treu a lot of boards this way, but keeping the ones I like. > Ordered a fish from Steve Brom to, can’t wait to give it a go.>>> Just kids with toys.>>> Peter Rijk It took me two boards bought from other “master” shapers in the past 2 years to realize that, without sounding conceited, the best boards I have owned in 34 yrs of surfing, shaping on and off for the last 10 yrs, have been shaped by me. Some have looked rather crude, rails thicker, softer on one side than the other, etc. but somehow most of them have ridden quite well. Just put one of the shop boards on consignment. I’m not putting down shops or the many awesome shapers out there, no way, but like I mentioned on one other thread, there is a connection to something you create yourself that makes it work. FD

Well when Nat tells you something you > tend to believe it because after all its fricken NAT for chrissakes!! > ALOHA, TOM true salesmanship at work, Tom! [smile] (sorry, couldnt resist) been surfing right at 30 years now. started shaping about 4 years after i started surfing. never bought/given a board by another shaper since. i’m sure it’s not an ‘ego’ thing (although some might claim it to be), but i dont think anyone else has much to offer me over what i can do. plus, the price is right [smile]