Question re: hand plane(for body surfing)

Finally getting round to making one, found a nice peice of redwood to use. Just have one question: Rails.

Curve from the top (deck I guess) down with a flat bottom, with a hard edge like the tail of a surf board

or

Curve from the bottom (like rocker) to a flat deck, with a hard edge on the top.

I would assume from the bottom up so you can sand in a little rocker, but I’ve seen a few people do it the other way too.

Which is best? does it even matter. Should I add concave to the bottom??

I don’t know zilch about hand boards , but this guy’s got a nice collection.

Bodysurf, handboard et glisses alternatives

You might find some ideas there ( pages 2 and 3 ).

for those of you that dont use webpage translators…you dont know what your missing.

Thanks NF,

That links really usefully, some really nice detail there. Its helped to clear my mind about what needs to be done.

here’s something for bodysurfers, shot in the early-mid 80’s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc45SSA7OdA

I have been making a lot of these recently and have been spending more time body surfing recently than surfing. I want to become a true waterman and up for any task. Here are a few things that I have been up to let me know what you think.

As far as rails and rocker is concerned it really depends on what type of wave and how you body surf.

More concave you will be higher up, but you are a little slower.

More rocker and you will have a better time on huge closeouts when you drop in.

The thing to remember is that you have to swim with the thing so don’t get to crazy with it.

[img_assist|nid=1042720|title=Sweat pea|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=77]

This one is called the Straight fish and tracks like a freight train.

[img_assist|nid=1042721|title=Straight Fish|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=68|height=100][img_assist|nid=1042722|title=Straight Channeled|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67]

[img_assist|nid=1042723|title=Burning Bush|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=78|height=100]

I have a grip more of these and have made about 15 in all shapes and sizes.

Tony

Soul and Tradition

Cheers Guys,

Thats some interesting stuff. I like the idea of having a whist strap like a mini leash, the first one is going to be out of wood so I’ve got some think leather cord that I will oil, the next I’m going to try out of foam and glass so I’m chatting with a mate to see if I can get some foot strap inserts use in waveskis for the hand strap.

Things always take me longer to complete than I would like but I hope to get started tonight so I can try it out in the water.

S&T do you use flipper when you body surf I’ve tried a few time with out either flippers or a hand plan but it was hard work and I missed 5 out of 6 waves and didn’t have much control on the ones I did manager to catch, I imagine with a plane the rides would be longer too.

"do you use flipper when you body surf "

Wearing a decent-fitting set of swim fins will increase the bodysurfing experience by about 100%. For roughly $40-60 USD you can have equipment that allows you to more effectively bodysurf, paipo, matsurf, bodyboard, and kneeboard as well as snorkel or scuba dive. Compare that price to the cost of a good leash or a surfboard fin. The only surf-riding equipment smaller or lighter is a deflated mat…or a handboard. A pair of surf-quality swimfins fits in a good size daypack…add trunks/boardshorts and a bit of wetsuit or rashguard and you can go anywhere anytime and have the ability to ride waves. The boss (you pick the specific type) could be sitting next to you on the plane and never know.

What makes “surf quality” in this regard? Heel straps vs. full-foot fins. If you need visuals check out bodyboard retailers on the web and see what they sell under swimfins. I can’t say you won’t regret it…you will regret not getting fins sooner!

Admittedly with a handboard you can get by without fins better than when straight bodysurfing, but trust me on this that the fins will help with the handboarding too.

Nels

Fins are for sure the way to go, 20 to 30 bucks are you are set. I have a pair of Smokies that I found on the side of the road a few years ago and they work great, but if I were to buy a set now I would definately look into Da Fin. All the lifeguards in HI use them and a few of my friends have a pair. Good stuff. Fins not only help you catch the wave but also will help you stay out of the soup and up on the shoulder.

I personally am not a fan of the strap and leash set up, I like to grip the board when I ride. (plus I do not put leashes on any of my boards, why would I want one on something i can put in my pocket) It feels way more secure for me and it is way easier to swim with. I do make mine with straps though and they are okay, I will say remember that shrinkage happens not just down there by your hands too and most strap materials will stretch when you get them in the drink so make it alittle tighter than you think you should.

Take a look at Danny Hess’s planes too, pretty cool stuff and there are some cool planes coming out of France too right now. I have been spending a lot of time farting around the net looking at them. Cool thing is you can make two or three a day start to finish with out much effort. Good times.

Cheers Guys,

Had a look at the Hess hand plans, very nice. Bassed a template on those though not sure how close it is as I could only find a few small pics (not neccissarily a bad thing) so I drew what looked right.

Laid up the wood last night, some red wood with 3 white hardwood (unsure of the actual variety) “stringers” I’ll take some pics as I go.

I’m away till middle of next week but I’ll probably ger round to cutting it out and shappinging next week some time or over the following weekend.

Cheer for the inspiration.

made this yesterday.

Ingredients: Poplar wood, nylon strap, linseed oil, brass straight brackets, graphite, wax.

Swam with it today. It has good acceleration and good glide in the pool. So anxious to take it out in some waves.

arts&surfcraft/other design will be done with a wood burner or soldering iron next time.

Jason Lukas

not sure where the photo went.

Sweeeeeet hand plane surfbum

here were I’m at so far:

Glued up the wood with gorrila glue and sash clamps (not pictured) then ripped down the “stringers” which turned out to be yew btw.

drew template

Cut out template by hand with a fret saw

trued the out line with a hand plane, as 90 degree fred tool and a half round file for the butt crack

I cut out the hand hold with a router, I was hoping to do the whole thing using only hand tools (much more satisfying and theraputic) But I know I’m good with the router and I wanted to get it finished sooner.

Going to shape the “blank” tonight if I get the chance, going to do an upwards curve starting at the widepoint to the nose to give a little rocker, and curve downwards back from the wide point to the tail keeping a hard edge after the wings.

With either a concave or 2 channells in the back, at the moment I’m leaning more towards the concave, similar to an alaia, but I may change my mind when I see what it looks like.

I have a little maori syle turtle design (it represents the navigator) to add with a 30W soldering iron and a mother of perl pips, for guitar necks, (lick a compas point) for the centre of the design. I practiced on an off cut, an am happy with how it looks. Interestingly the design goes on much smoother after the wood has been oiled, I guess it helps concerntrate the heat from the pen.

I also have some thick leather cord to use as a wrist strap. planning two small holes and cut out a channel for the cord to sit flush then do the knot on the top.

I’ll put some more pics up when I get the chance.

nice woody!

cannot wait to see the finished product.

Here are two that I have been working on. Poplar and Mahogany. Single concave throughout and single to channel bottom on the other.

Your board looks hot love the finish on that one.

Take a look at this one that I finished a few days ago, I wanted something that I would want to ride or hang on the wall. I am pretty happy with it. Not to mention that I used some left over wood from a coffee table that my son destroyed. If you think about it there is wood everywhere, the whole world opens to the endless possiblities of making hand planes if you use reclaimed wood. I just picked up about 70 board feet of redwood fence that someone had ditched on the side of the road. I’ll be making 'em for months with what I have now, plus it is alot cheaper that way.

Ride on fellas

[img_assist|nid=1043185|title=Soul Scene|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=253|height=155]

my photograph disappeared again…

Well I got it finished in time for last weekend here are the picts of it finished:

I saw a Danny Hess plywood Handboard in Australia…

I made mine from 1" thick walnut…

Finished size is 18" x 7,5"…

Thickness at the center is about 1/8"…

Nice looking plane there Paul. I shaped a plane from extra foam last week, based on the Hess Wing Pin. Gonna try and glass it today. Will be adding a velcro strap (from an old leash) I think (without the cutout in the plane). I’ll post some pics if I can. Don’t think I’ll be making any more from foam though. (Not looking forward to the glassing). I’ve been collecting driftwood… been making ornamental fins from them. Gonna try a plane next.