Quick bonding question paint-resin

PUPE

Long story which I wont bore you with, but I have a board mid way through build. deck went wrong. Its all a dark resin tint. I have a cut line ready for a deck inlay with cloth to cover the flaws in deck, its totally smooth sanded back through the deck lam layer (around half way through the glass, very nearly to the foam but not quite. I have never done cloth before but pretty confident in doing it, except for the fact that the deck is DARK, so the cloth is looking crappy and I need to whiten it underneath. The choice is between acrylic white spray paint over the sanded deck inlay, then cloth, then wrapped with glass. Or pigmented white resin brushed on like a hot coat but only using lam resin, then cloth, then glass.

Paint is my preference to get a nice even job which will add as little weight as possible. The only issue I am here for is whether there will be an effective bond between the sprayed paint and the resin used on the cloth over it. I think it will be fine, but before I go ahead I wondered if anyone disagrees strongly enough to put me off and onto the heavier resin appoach?

Thanks

Acrylic Paint only.  Then scuff it with a 3M pad.  I’m not sure I understand what you are doing, but you should be able to 4oz to the rail mid point after the paint if done properly.

I don’t suppose you have any 2-oz glass handy do you?

Thanks, but sadly no, wish I did. 4 and 6 only here

Thanks Ding , will try to explain a bit better.

I lammed the bottom first with 6 oz as normal using a dark tint. I used the same resin mixed up enough for both sides to colour match top and bottom. She wants a glitter sparkle so I added glitter to the resin and lammed a 6oz deck inlay, inside the cutlap from the bottom lam. Wont detail the glitter problems but basically it was dusty stuff and i used too much. It wasnt even so I wasn’t happy with it. I sanded it all off, but some glitter got down into the weave near the foam, so I have no choice but to do something solid over the top, as a deck inlay, to cover up the shitty glitter remnants (and some semi burn throughs to the foam, VERY nearly anyway, colour differences etc).  I have some nice cotton cloth and plan to do a deck inlay with that to cover up the mistakes underneath, but because the deck still is fairly dark under the cloth, it doens’t give a nice effect, the whites of the cloth are muddy and non-white. So… I have to decide how to make the deck inlay area white under cloth so the cloth pattern is nice and sharp and clean. I can either spray the deck inlay area with white paint, or brush on resin with white pigment. Pigmented resin will (i think) add more weight than a couple of light coats of white acrylic spray paint, but not sure how well the resin used for cloth lamination will bond to the paint underneath. Thats where this thread came from :slight_smile:

Hope that makes more sense

I just finished masking the deck ready for paint/resin then cloth inlay. In case a picture helps I have pasted one below. Just after a few different opinions before I take the plunge, probably with spray paint. It’s only a question of whether that layer of acrylic paint will weaken the board in some way, as it will be above some glass and below some cloth and more glass.

https://snag.gy/PFdhSt.jpg

Yes you can do it as I stated.  You could also tape off the cutlap at the rail(double or tripe tape, so that you can find the edge) and Opaque a piece of 4oz that would be dark enough to cover the cloth beneath.  Even white opaque will cover if enough white pigment is in the the resin.  The old trick of pouring a little over newsprint works well to determine whether or not you have enough pigment in yourr batch.  Testing and mixing done pre-catalyst of course.  The thicker tape will help you find your cut line.  Then hot coat, pin line and sand.

Thanks, although I am unsure if I have still explained it fully. When you said “then hotcoat, pin line and sand” - no I wil need to laminate the flowery cloth on first. Maybe you just forgot that part but just in case, steps needed now are:

1. Make deck white (paint or resin)

2. Inlay flowery cloth

3. clear glass over (maybe 6, maybe 4+4)

then the hotcoat, pin and gloss etc

Thanks for the input. At this point I am only trying to decide if paint will bond ok with the sanded cloth under it and the clear lamination going over it. If so, I will go with paint to keep weight down. if not I can go with resin, but that’s not preferable for weight reasons

Isn’t this like the second thread you started asking about spray paint? Sounds like you really want to try it. I’ve done it on multiple boards, some ding repairs and some full boards, with okay results. I’ve also had some bad experience with spray paint. Let it dry completely. It should work. I’d be more nervous about glassing cloth inlay directly on to spray paint, a lot of factors could go wrong. I would use resin.

Dont think so but it’s possible I may asked about paint on a previous board, if I did it wouldn’t have been the same question it would have been paint on blank I think. Thread can be deleted anyway as I took plunge today and did a bit of a compromise. Light white paint to half lighten up the dark deck, then put a 6 oz glass inlay with a bit of white pigment which took it closer to full white. Seems to have worked ok, only issue (which was reason for question) is whether it is likely to delam but going by the replies it doesn’t look like that’s likely, but if it happens it happens, as its done now. thanks

Yeah that’s fine.