Quiver curiosity

hi guys,

just curious-- what boards do you have in your current (and past) quiver, and in what conditions do you surf each of them?

it would help to understand individual board choice today, as well as predict where board design will be headed in a world where climate uncertainty is fast becoming the norm

cheers,

[quote="$1"]

hi guys,

it would help to understand individual board choice today, as well as predict where board design will be headed in a world where climate uncertainty is fast becoming the norm

cheers,

[/quote]

WTF has the climate got to do with it!?

A keel fish, a twinny, a midlength

uhhh, more water? 

where i’m from, typhoons are commonplace but lately there’s more volume of water and storms are more intense now and they come in greater frequency. places that have surf spots have bigger waves, and places where no surf spots used to exist are now surfable.  sandbanks still swirl around depending on the seasons, but now with bigger surf. 

you guys in the US, europe, NZ & oz may take this for granted but new places like here in the philippines hardly have the numbers to show to be able to compare quivers, let alone personal boards :D 

at a popular surf spot 7 hrs north of the capital, most of the boards you’ll see are beginner rental longboards and gnarly cast-off shortboards. to this day i’ve yet to see a fish in the lineup

g’day surfiber, my effective quiver is just 3 boards at the moment.

my go to board is a “pro shape” 6’ 3" potato chip (although I’m quite small so it paddles ok for me). I have abandonded my all round 6’ 6" shortboard, I used to think it was great but I’ve now decided it is too big for me.

For when the waves start to get too big for my shortboard I have a 6’ 10" stepup. When the waves are very small and I want to get wet I have a 8’ 4" longboard. If its very small and clean I’ll use the longboard, if its choppy I use the shortboard even when its very small. The longboard seems good when its clean and semi-closing out - can get in early and beat the section that way. But if its choppy the shortboard seems to work best.

When the sea level rises my low tide spot won’t work and at low tide my current high tide spot will work instead. At high tide my current high tide spot won’t work at all - the waves will bash against the cliff. It seems that the water will rise faster than erosion can carve out new spots so we will lose surf breaks, but I don’t know how this will affect board design.

howdy Mr J,

i guess what you’re saying is : regardless of global warming, it won’t help to aspire for a 1-board quiver  :D 

personally i’d like to think it’s achievable to come up with an all-purpose board, with enough fin boxes, for multiple fin setups, to fit diverse surf conditions. in theory hehe

Ok, my every day board is a Swinger design of mine,its 5'11 x 20" x 2 1/2"....I also have a few Fat-Bats for different conditions, 1 is a 5'7" and the other is a 6'3", also have a new 5'9" little rocket ship I call the Vicious Kanid (  yet to find its place in my quiver after only 2 surfs in poor waves ), then I have my go to board when the waves are getting a bit more serious and above 5 ft its my CDD-epoxy thruster, goes insane, simple shape but does the job very nicely, light and lively even after several repairs, it is used at the point when it is solid but still goes well in smaller stuff but the Swinger and the Bats are more fun usually plus the volume and area of these boards makes things easier too....

I have a few others too but thats the main bunch......

wow, top 5. btw what’s the story behind your ex-faves? too battered for continued use? weight gain? new home break? wrong board choice? hmm hmm 

shapes and surfing evolves or changes...go thru periods where I am enjoying something from a certain board....the old ones sometimes get sold or just put aside for a while, then when you get back on them special ones you realize why you kept it.....