Rail Shaping

I am new to shaping and am wondering how far up I should measure to create the rails for the surfboard (bevel cuts). I mainly would like a 3 1/4 board. Should I measure up 1 3/4?? Thanks for the help. Rob

How you want your rails boils down to personal preference but a little planning will go a long way toward having them turning out like you want. Before I plane a board I check it for twist with a level then about every 1.5 feet I mark the side of the blank (where you’ve cut it out and smoothed the outline) with pencil marks at 1/2 inch increments up the side so I know how much I’ve planed and can compensate for any twist in the blank. These marks will also help you when you get ready to rough the rails by giving you a reference for each side because the hardest things about rails in the beginning is being symmetric. Check the archives here for any reference material on the subject and Surfline also has a “design guide” you may want to check out. Take your time and have fun. Dennis

How you want your rails boils down to personal preference but a little planning will go a long way toward having them turning out like you want. Before I plane a board I check it for twist with a level then about every 1.5 feet I mark the side of the blank (where you’ve cut it out and smoothed the outline) with pencil marks at 1/2 inch increments up the side so I know how much I’ve planed and can compensate for any twist in the blank. These marks will also help you when you get ready to rough the rails by giving you a reference for each side because the hardest things about rails in the beginning is being symmetric. Check the archives here for any reference material on the subject and Surfline also has a “design guide” you may want to check out. Take your time and have fun. Dennis

draw out cross sections(measure the thickness of your existing rail(s)) and try various angles, etc. it takes a couple minutes and will help a lot. draw your bands with a square and then just sketch out the curve that would result from smoothing it out. usually i do it for center nose and tail if i’m not sure where to start.

draw out cross sections(measure the thickness of your existing rail(s)) and try various angles, etc. it takes a couple minutes and will help a lot. draw your bands with a square and then just sketch out the curve that would result from smoothing it out. usually i do it for center nose and tail if i’m not sure where to start.

Thanks for the responses. This helps. Rob

Thanks for the responses. This helps. Rob