RAIL TYPES FOR BIG GUY BOARDS

WHAT TYPE OF RAILS ARE BEST FOR BIG GUY BOARDS LIKE A FISH/HYBRID (7’2" X 2-7/8" N 15", MID 22-1/4", T 15-1/2"). IT WILL GENERALLY BE RIDDEN IN SMALL BEACH BREAK WAVES FROM 1 TO 5 FEET. MY WEIGHT IS 230 LBS. & MY HEIGHT IS 5’-9". THE BOARD WILL HAVE AN OVER ALL FLAT ROCKER W/ A SINGLE CONCAVE FROM THE CHEST THRU THE TAIL.

Boxy with shallow rail bands. Hard throught the tail.

Boxy with shallow rail bands. Hard throught the tail.

Sorry don’t have a clue what I did Anyway What are rail bands hope this is’nt to lame of a ? Thanks J.B.

Sorry don’t have a clue what I did Anyway What are rail bands hope this > is’nt to lame of a ? Thanks J.B. After you cut out your planeshape (outline of your board) the edge of your rails are straight and at a 90 degree agle to the deck and bottom of your board (L). With the deck up, rail bands are cut by making passes at an angle with your planer on the top of this 90 degree angle. In short it is a way to thin your rails down before you round and finish your rails. The more passes you make with your planer, the thinner you are making your rails and decreasing the distribution of foam out to the rail. JC’s shaping 101 video has a good section on this technique. You can adjust how far these bands or planer passes go out on your deck (toward the stringer) and how deep they are cut into the rail. When I said shallow rail bands, I basically meant limit the amount of foam removed from the rails which will give you more float. When left boxy you get more float and they tend to be more forgiving when it comes to cutbacks. Also, when you weight the rail in the water you will get more push back from the board when the pressure is released. Think about pushing a basket ball under water then letting go of it, compared to what happens when you push a tennis ball under water. The down side is that the board is more difficult to submerge the rail (but if you have some weight on your side, it is no big deal), and is less sensitive (imagine cutting a block of cheese with a surgeon’s scalple vs.a butter knife).

Thanks I got it now J.B.

if you’re big boy board is over 2.5" thick, i wouldn’t make the rails too boxy. i find it tends to make the board feel “corky” in the water and harder to set your rail in the wave.