rails....

im having a hard time with turned down rails (60/40, 70/30, 80/30). does anyone have any tricks that they would be willing to share. like using only pencil lines and a sanding block. i dont like using the planer to put rail bands on. i always seem to take too much foam off. any tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot!!!

sureform the crap out of it http://members.cox.net/austinsurfboards

Learn to use a planer. It will really make your rail bands flow.

im having a hard time with turned down rails (60/40, 70/30, 80/30). does > anyone have any tricks that they would be willing to share. like using > only pencil lines and a sanding block. i dont like using the planer to put > rail bands on. i always seem to take too much foam off. any tips would be > greatly appreciated. thanks a lot!!! Which rail do you want to make? I plan rails ahead of time and make mid-board rail templates. After sketching the midboard cross section, I cut three outside templates, bottom, top, and whole-rail section from 1/8" plywood. I mark the rail line at the ends of all three templates. I glue 1/2 backpacker foam to a couple of boards and glue different grit sandpaper to the foam. After skinning the bottom I outline and mark the rail line. I take the bottom rail down to the bottom template, then sand the mid-board deck down using both the deck template and the whole-rail template. I thin the nose and tail, and blend the mid-board rails into the nose and tail by feel.

Use your planer to band your rails… I turn my rails with the board on rail in the rack. Take your time and don’t open your planer full blast… Little baby steps thin cuts till you get where you want the band… Turn your rail bands on rail and stay away from surfroms till the last little blending… Surfroms have no controls…>>> Which rail do you want to make? I plan rails ahead of time and make > mid-board rail templates. After sketching the midboard cross section, I > cut three outside templates, bottom, top, and whole-rail section from > 1/8" plywood. I mark the rail line at the ends of all three > templates.>>> I glue 1/2 backpacker foam to a couple of boards and glue different grit > sandpaper to the foam. After skinning the bottom I outline and mark the > rail line. I take the bottom rail down to the bottom template, then sand > the mid-board deck down using both the deck template and the whole-rail > template.>>> I thin the nose and tail, and blend the mid-board rails into the nose and > tail by feel. http://surfnwsc.com