Rainbow Surfboards

Anybody hear of Rainbow Surboards out of Florida? I bought the board over 8 years ago. The 9’4 single fin is my favorite board and the one I turn to when the surf gets big. The initials are “DW” on the specs. The little that I know about “DW” is that he left shaping to build and design formula 1 race boats (certainly more money in that endeavor). Also, his son may be in board building business. If anyone has some more info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is some info I found on the infamous google: Rainbow Surfboards 2840 Allen Hill Ave Melbourne, FL 32940 p (321) 757-0922 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&ci=1&shs=NIN5GR&Q=&O=

D.W. is Doug Wright.He had a factory in either Canaveral or Cocoa (can’t remember).I glossed and pinned a few boards for him in the seventies,he was also building resin tables.Thats all I know.Jim Phillips or Greg L. may know more. R. Brucker

Doug is mostly building race boats. He still does a few boards when he’s in the mood. If you want one expect to wait but he will get it done in time, his business keeps him very busy. We worked together on some cool stuff. Very knowegable. He still uses our resin for some parts of his production and makes some very fine (fast) marine equipment.

There are boards that I have found in laguna Beach California as well. They have a website called rainbowsurfboards.com . The owner at Thalia Street surfshop says that they have many people shaping under this label. Hope this helps.

Rainbow west is not the same as rainbow from florida. Doug wright is building boats nowadays. Talked to him at his factory less than a 6 months ago. Rode his boards for over ten years,they worked great all over the world. He told me he hadn’t seen a “good” wave in florida for almost ten years. Hard to sell boards in a market like that. Rainbow surfboards (west) are shaped by Rich Pavel aka “Toby”. Available at leucadia surfshop, and thalia surfshop laguna beach.

I still have a 6’8" winged swallow tail single fin (plywood) made by Doug in 1973-4. I remember taking it to Puerto Rico that winter. That was a long time ago.

Thank everyone for the information. Sounds as though I’m not the only happy customer out there…Lets hope he catches the board building bug again. In case anyone is curious, the board that inspired the post measurements are as follows… 9’4 single 16.5 X 22.5 X 14 X 2.75 Thin, responsive and fast. Again, the board that comes out during the hurricane swells. I’m going to have to track down Doug for another one.

Looking for doug wright…he’s making boats now ,good looking cats…i work for rainbow surfboards for about 16 years…we don’t get alone to well , but i have to say he is one of the BEST shapers i ever work for,and i have work with alot of shaper…ET

i have literally been waiting and wanting baited breathe as a fire inside to post & share these pictures, check it all out: like a 5'6" or something complete with original leash "viola tah dahh..." 

Awesome board! I have a similar one 5’ something double wing, tiny swallow 3+" thick.

I’ll post pictures when i get a chance

Here are a few pictures of a 1985 6’0" squashtail I rode as a Bo’s Surf & Sport (Boca Raton, FL) Team Member. Shaped by Doug. AWESOME F-14 Tomcat with flames airbrush on the bottom. LOVED this board!!! Just passed it on to a well deserving local grom in Stuart. Hope he has as much fun with it as I did!