Raising the bar...

I’d love to answer your questions. Maybe somebody in the forum could tell me how to attach my pictures. I have lots of them that really tell the story.

Darryl

tell us a little about Darryl

Great job Darryl,

She’s a beaut.

What type of wood if the frame? and what thicknesses are the frame pieces?

That thickness are the skins?

thanks

Thanks for the nice comment. The frame pieces are 1/8 luan plywood. The skin, top and bottom, are 1/8 solid white pine and redwood laid up inside and out with 4-ounce glass and epoxy resin.

Darryl, Beautiful board! Are the pictures with the board glassed? Maybe the camera, cause the contrast looks a little light. But great detail work.

I had the same problem with posting pictures until I recently found www.shrinkpictures.com. Go there and you can reduce the informational size of your photos so Swaylocks will accept them.

Send more pictures as soon as you can. We’re all waiting for them! Again, great job.

Doug

Thanks for the info on www.shrink pictures. I will do that later when I have more time. The photos on the forum are of the board before it was glassed, but now it’s been glassed, waxed, and surfed.

Darryl/Oldlog: Pretty friggen nice.

I have intentions to make my HWS shortly. Just by reading sways for several years, no CD, no outside help, I have some questions posted today, and reiterate to you. (Paul feel free to respond as well… please).

At 240 pounds I’m concerned about deck stength. So…

What is the spacing of your 1/8 thick mahogany ply ribs?

You said skins are 1/8 pine and redwood “inside and out”… does this mean your skins are 1/8, or are they 1/4 thick?

Glass schedule… 4 oz. with epoxy on the outside only? Seems mighty light… did I miss something?

Skin thickness/strength/glassing, are major concerns for me. I’ve made “normal” boards for years and I can make short sticks from long ones… not worried about that part; just don’t want to make something that ends up a wallhanger because too weak to stand on. But if you had Paul there, you must have your ducks in a pretty straight row.

Lastly, final weight, please with wax and fin(s) of course!

If you are going any thinner that 1/4" you should glass inside and out. Glass on the inside and out gives you a sandwich that is very strong.

The 1/8 mahogany ply ribs are approx. 12 inches apart. The deck and bottom are 1/8-inch solid pine and redwood. I glassed them both inside and out. I was also concerned about my deck strength, so when I glassed the inside of the deck I took the 4-ounce fiberglass that came from the extra width and used it to put double 4-ounce strips between each rib in the center where I felt I would be standing. Now that the board is done, I think that was overkill. It turned out very strong, as far as I can tell. It has been surfed twice in the last few days with no problems. Final weight turned out to be 17 lbs., wax and fins included. I weigh 175 lbs. and the next board I build is going to be much lighter. I’m confident in the strength of these boards.

Here’s a photo of doubling the glass on the underside of the deck between the ribs.

Here are some pictures of the construction of the sunburst on the bottom of my board.

Found the picture shrinking website – thanks for the link. Will post more pictures very soon.

Amazing craftsmanship and a very beautiful board. Can you show some pictures of the rails and fin box installation? How does she surf? Bob

Oldlog, as PJ said, that’s for sure the best numero uno i’ve seen in my life: congratulations.

Let us know how it rides!

By the way, you look really like the surgeon who fixed my ribs some months back… and that scares me to death!, lol.

Good job.

Coque.

Thanks for the positive comments. Pictures of the fin boxes are attached. Rails are patterned after a Greg Liddle point breaker - knifey at the rear and egg-shaped at the mid and nose areas. I’ve surfed the board three times and it surfs very well after taking off. It’s extremely fast and likes to be surfed just forward of center. The takeoffs are a bit squirrelly because the board is a tiny bit floaty for me and it turns very fast, which you don’t want to do with a Greg Liddle shape. It’s really a lot of fun but you have to also love talking to other surfers because they all want to know everything about the surfboard.

I’m stoked and I can’t wait to build my next board.

Darryl

Whoa! Looks like the pictures didn’t post – will try again.

Darryl