Random Orbital Sanders

Who is using random orbital sanders and what are you using?  Can you get softer backing pads for them?

I’m getting another new house built behind me this spring and its only a matter of time before someone starts complaining about me sanding boards.  Was thinking about getting a random orbital and an auto switch for the shop vac.

Anybody have one of these:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEWALT-6-Right-Angle-Random-Orbit-Sander-DW443-NEW-/281376486178?pt=Sanders_Sandblasters&hash=item4183587322 

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-1250DEVS-NEW-6-Dual-Mode-Random-Orbit-Sander-Polisher-Germany-W-Warranty-/171610388615?pt=Sanders_Sandblasters&hash=item27f4c6b887 

i use a makita random orbital with 125mm diameter pad to knock down fin plugs, sand laps etc all I can advise is to make sure the one you select has a speed control. Cheers rich

What do you think you are going to gain by using one? I dont use one but can tell you that the speed that those run at are way too fast for sanding a surfboard with.

Are you looking for quiet or clean? Or something else?

A buddy of mine who sands surfboards for a living uses one.

Only does the rails with his.

Still sands the flats with a regular sander with the 8" pad.

They are loud.

At least the one he uses.

I’m primarily looking to control the dust.  I have two regular sanders.  

If you want to control dust, then you need to go Fein or Festool with a more powerful vacuum.

Rotex 6" is good expensive as sh*t and slow but the best almost dustfree sanding you can get for the money

just ask any festool owner here 

Currently use a Dynabrade 4" air sander…they make all densities of pad…produces very little heat on the board…they also have dust extraction port , so you can use the sanding disc with the holes…http://www.dynabrade.com/dyn10/intro2/selregmark/index.html

Barry- Does he have one that runs at a lower speed? Or just feather the trigger all the time. Seems like It would be instant heat  and paper clog at the speed of the two posted.

Mako- why not just make a dust collector for the sander you already have? I know a few guys who have one set up.

I have a Porter Cable random orbital, but I really love my Porter Cable 505 half sheet vibrating sander.

I use the Porter Cable version with the grinder body/motor. Variable speed, six inch pad. One with hook and loop and another with sticky backs. The speed can be slowed down so there is NO heat build up. I have two and use them almost daily in woodworking and use them on boards when the occasion arises. The older ones are monsters that keep on going. They also are equipped with dust removal cowls and hoses. Dust is not an issue hooked up to a shop vac or vac system. The one for the sticky backs, I cut my own paper and use Taki glue, so I can go up or down in grit through the whole spectrum. Replacement pads are easy to get as well. I do use a Milwaukee polsher/sander for the large flats and the six inchers for closer detail work.

Festool is great stuff but I can’t justify the added cost even though I need good tools for my job. Both my Porter Cables are more than 15 years old and still kick ass. It seems it would take alot of time to burn through two of these for the cost of one Festool. Don’t get me wrong, I really like this tool line, but I don’t need a Roll’s Royce to get around. Rotex too.

**learn to understand

glass fiber over compound curves    and you will come to realize these things are useless**

just sayin

cheers huie

What are you trying to say?

by not understanding me you prove my point.

cheers huie

Sure, I don’t understand you. So what do you have to say about glass wrapping compound curves having to do with sanders?

Should we discuss silicone sheets inside the vacuum bag to give a sand free finish?

You go first…

dont need silicon

been doing that for the last 2 yrs or so

cheers huie

iirc, a variac can slow down your sander or router or whatever you have plugged into it.

I use équivalent of rotex from bosch pro, orbital or roto orbital mode, can use standrad grit, and soft interface from car sanding shop.

Huie i don’t agree on this, those roto orbital were déveloped for compound curves because old school roto sander polisher did not work so nice.

Most car sander don ´t use them anymore for sanding, and i use to work with boat and aeronautics composits parts builder, they only use roto orbital for time.

My older German made Metabo 150mm, seems bullet-proof, variable speed with variable trigger as well, works well around fins and in deep concaves etc. Have sanded some small shortboards with it, no problem. I’m no production guy though

[quote=“$1”]

Huie i don’t agree on this, those roto orbital were déveloped for compound curves because old school roto sander polisher did not work so nice

oh yes they did in the right hands  they were the cornerstone.

how far back do you base that remark

Most car sander don ´t use them anymore for sanding, and i use to work with boat and aeronautics composits parts builder, they only use roto orbital for time.

** problem IS  we are talking surfboards!     the reference i make is   knowing where the  contours are and how to aproach it without wasting time with bullshit.    its a skill mate handed down not available in a pannel shop**

**production surfboard sander on limited time.

pannel wacker all the time in the world .

modern boatbuilder taken over by robots long ago

big difference**

**yep i only sand the retro hippy stuff and polish it as i allways have.

new age shortys no need sanding**

cheers huie