Re: Bing Nuuhiwa Lightweight Pintail

I have a good friend who would like to have an accurate replica made of his old treasured, but thrashed, Bing “Nuuhiwa Lightweight” Pintail… same foam, glass and everything as circa 1967-68. Any suggestions on where best to inquire?

Hey Dale, Where can he go to talk to shapers? Is Santa Cruz an option? Mahalo, Rich

Bing should be able to help. E-mail him.

Mike Eaton was making Bings. I don’t know if he still is, but you can give him a call. He is in San Diego.

If he wants a copy to ride-Gene Cooper in Ventura/Oxnard or Ward Coffey in Santa Cruz.

Thank you Rich, but Im fairly sure that Jeff wont be traveling outside of Oregon in the near future. By the way, we traded waves for many years, and I witnessed him riding that elegant old board in all types of conditions from 2’ beachbreak slop to 15’+ outer reef mackers. Very functional, fast and smooth.

Dale - Dan Bendickson has been doing the Nuuhiwa noserider reissues. He did the lion’s share of the originals for Bing. I believe he did a bunch of the Lightweights also. He ain’t cheap and he doesn’t rush but his quality is impeccable. If your friend is interested, contact me and I’ll send you his number.

Will do- thanks John!

copy? no thanks

Call up Bob Miller at ASD Surfboards in Burlingame, CA. Last summer he made a replica of the Bing pin tail which turned out great. Bob is a grat guy and he started out shaping for Ole. ASD ADVANCED SURF DESIGNS 302 LANG RD, BURLINGAME, CA 94010 (650) 348-8485

Call up Bob Miller at ASD Surfboards in Burlingame, CA. Last summer he made a replica of the Bing pin tail which turned out great. Bob is a grat guy and he started out shaping for Ole. ASD ADVANCED SURF DESIGNS 302 LANG RD, BURLINGAME, CA 94010 (650) 348-8485

Hello! Hey, I surfed with Dale in the early 80’s; we were talking this weekend and lo, I find my thoughts intersperced with the legends of surfing… the miracle of computers… anyway, yeah, I rode one of these for 8 years or so, just kind of lucked into the shape. Dale seems to understand why it worked so well, the displacement hull, etc. I had a guy (Mike Tuel) do a re-make of it, but it didn’t quite come out right… too much rocker… and now it’s starting to delaminate. And my original Bing weighs about 38 pounds, cuz I kept adding glass to combat dings and stress fractures. So now, when I paddle the original, my shoulders start to die because of the weight. So why not a new one? I’ve started a new job as a special education teacher which has consumed my energy of late, but there’s still time for a new era! I don’t think I knew how good I had it in the 80’s: no one was riding long boards in Oregon. Dale was designing double-keel triplanes out of foam and polyvinyl and I was gliding and accelerating on a displacement hull that was so loose it would side-slip down the face with only the rail holding it in, the fin completely out of the water. Who wouldn’t want to re-create that feeling? So here I am responding. Would you like to make me a board? I’m still amazed at how intensely different the original design works compared to the [Tuel) re-make. So, if it’s time to call in an expert, I’d like to get back to what was happening when I was connecting to that original design 20 years ago. Jeff