really dark colored boards

noticed how I have never really seen too many - do they affect performance? May sound stupid but don’t they “disappear” into the water, make your feet feel “underwater”? Or rather . … could they have that affect? It is true about not seeing … I guess that is why the one I saw today . … stood out so. Like all black in color.

i think it’s more of a cosmetic thing. if a board gets damaged then you have that little extra to fix if you want it to look good. alot of paint, or well a tinted lam, both would prob. be more expensive which = less buyers. a quick suncure fix on the beach wouldn’t cut it for you anal types. also…that’s just not the “thing to do” right now. when this sport first started they rode dark boards. they were huge wooden planks. maybe we’ll see a change someday. it’s all in the trend…

noticed how I have never really seen too many - do they affect > performance? May sound stupid but don’t they “disappear” into > the water, make your feet feel “underwater”? Or rather . … > could they have that affect? It is true about not seeing … I guess that > is why the one I saw today . … stood out so. Like all black in color. Put a black board in the sun for 5 minutes next to a white one. Tell me what the difference in the surface temprature will be and which one will deteriorate more quickly and which one you can keep wax on. Mahalo, Rich

They’re great for night surfing…a phantom surfer effect.>>> Put a black board in the sun for 5 minutes next to a white one. Tell me > what the difference in the surface temprature will be and which one will > deteriorate more quickly and which one you can keep wax on.>>> Mahalo, Rich

Like Rich said, dark = delamination if in the sun or heat too long. The “phantom night surfing effect” almost cost me a lost board. A buddy and I were surfing low tide Cowells after midnight at about 2-3’ and building. I lost my blue log on a wave, and finally found it near the pier about 15 minutes later. Lesson learned; wear a cord at night.

agreed, it was joke. We used to surf by moonlight & pier lights at Malibu, but stopped doing so when our IQ’s grew into double digits.>>> Like Rich said, dark = delamination if in the sun or heat too long. The > “phantom night surfing effect” almost cost me a lost board. A > buddy and I were surfing low tide Cowells after midnight at about 2-3’ and > building. I lost my blue log on a wave, and finally found it near the pier > about 15 minutes later. Lesson learned; wear a cord at night.

If you’re surfing is becoming a chore and you’re slipping into a routine with each session, try this for your next surfboard: Instead of a light colored board, get an all black board with a helpless baby Harp Seal airbrushed on the top and bottom. This should attract some attention from the local large toothed sea life. Your paddling speed will improve dramatically, and you’ll have an adventure with every surf session.>>> They’re great for night surfing…a phantom surfer effect.

If you’re surfing is becoming a chore and you’re slipping into a routine > with each session, try this for your next surfboard: Instead of a light > colored board, get an all black board with a helpless baby Harp Seal > airbrushed on the top and bottom. This should attract some attention from > the local large toothed sea life. Your paddling speed will improve > dramatically, and you’ll have an adventure with every surf session. Talking about shark and board colors are their any color better than others ?I’ve read that sharks are more attracted by bright colors and tests have proven they favor yellow colors. Then when you look at board colors, yellow is among the best sellers (well at least over here in france where, by the way we don’t have sharks)… Pierre

Talking about shark and board colors are their any color better than > others ?I’ve read that sharks are more attracted by bright colors and > tests have proven they favor yellow colors. Then when you look at board > colors, yellow is among the best sellers (well at least over here in > france where, by the way we don’t have sharks)…>>> Pierre My understanding is that most shark attacks happen in either murky water or from beneath the surfer/diver. Surfboard color would be irrelevent if the shark is attacking the fish-like shadow it sees on the surface from below. Theories that kneeboarders and bodyboarders with more appendages in the water and thus more closely resemble true aquatic life are not proven but the thought seems to have some common sense to it. More attacks seem to happen in either very cold or tropical water than temperate water temps.

Talking about shark and board colors are their any color better than > others ?I’ve read that sharks are more attracted by bright colors and > tests have proven they favor yellow colors. Then when you look at board > colors, yellow is among the best sellers (well at least over here in > france where, by the way we don’t have sharks)…>>> Pierre Many years ago I read an article about the Red Sea(?) in Nat’l Geographic(?). I recall that some scientists were observing that sharks seemed to be afraid of a local sea snake that had a distinctive coloration. They were planning further experiments to see if a swimsuit or wetsuit were the same colors and pattern if sharks would continue to stay clear.

Many years ago I read an article about the Red Sea(?) in Nat’l > Geographic(?). I recall that some scientists were observing that sharks > seemed to be afraid of a local sea snake that had a distinctive > coloration. They were planning further experiments to see if a swimsuit or > wetsuit were the same colors and pattern if sharks would continue to stay > clear. I would think a lot of that would ride on water clarity. I recall reading in some old surf book that one of the pioneer surfers was in the South Pacific proably during WWII and saw dark-skinned islanders covering the palms of their hands and the soles of the feet while free diving, so the contrasting flash of light parts attached to much darker skin wouldn’t attract unwanted attention. Of course, when you have fish blood in the water you turn the whole fire up a notch. I’ve also long suspected if one eats a lot of fish that somehow one might emit some fish-related attractant. Just a little something to think about next time you go for sushi…