recycled cedar surfboard

[img_assist|nid=1042758|title=rocker cut into each length of timber|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=75|height=100][img_assist|nid=1042759|title=one side cut out|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=360|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042760|title=rough shape before chambering|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=75|height=100][img_assist|nid=1042761|title=prizing the sections apart with cedar off-cuts|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=75|height=100][img_assist|nid=1042762|title=5 uneven sections ready for chambering|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042763|title=chambering|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042764|title=cedar|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=75|height=100][img_assist|nid=1042763|title=chambering|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480][img_assist|nid=1042763|title=chambering|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=320|height=240]

hmmm… this post has turned out pretty odd. sorry about that.

Never mind the wierdness, that’s a really cool build. What was the cedar between being a tree and a surfboard?

Cheers. I imagine the wood was used for some sort of pergola or similar construction. you can see where the timber was butted up and nailed together hence the dark rectangular blotches. i`ve got a pic of the timber just after the old paint was plained off…[img_assist|nid=1042781|title=rough lengths|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=75]

I have an old cedar sauna that’s toast…I’ve been looking at the wood and considering what to do with it.

Was thinking about a row boat for the lake…but I think I could finger joint the boards together to get my length and do what you’ve done here…I hadn’t even considered that as an option…was toying with the idea of resawing and making a cedar skinned compsand…lots of options now.

Thank you for the inspiration!

[img_assist|nid=1042783|title=brace and bit, chisel, file. no electricity|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=75]

Hey. What`s a “compsand”?

I reckon i was quite lucky to find fairly wide lengths of wood. it seems the sections are heavier with more, thinner lengths of wood which therefore uses more glue. Saying that though, it would look incredible with all that grain running thru the board. Just make it then sell it as a wall hanger for a restaurant or something then buy the the wood that you really want!

Check out this thread, its a good one

http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1012644

DON’T DO IT!!!11…````

That thread is well…THE thread.

nearly there…

gluing up. A most stressful time!

Nice cawl. Did you glue it up in one shot? The pointy nose and tail sections can be hard to close up. Especially if life gets in the way of making cool stuff for a while and the boards start to change shape. I wanted to shape my board very close to final shape. So instead of leaving something extra to clamp the thin parts in with I wrapped them with some strips of inner-tubes. 6-7 times around gets everything obedient.

The tail was pretty fat so that cooperated ok. The nose i made small 90* indents so the clamps would hold which was pretty drastic. The cool thing about recycled is that any little dents and nicks just add to the character when its all done. :-) I know the desperate feeling of losing control. Inner tubes wouldve been perfect. i put small dowl rods, about 1 inch long, at each end of the sections so that i could glue it up in one hit and so the lengths didn`t slip long ways as though it was lubed with glue. Cheers

Looks good. Nice concept board. I was little disappointed to see you filled in the slots. Tough to glass down in there I guess. I remember when I was a kid guys skim-boarding on homemade jobs and they had a hole drilled in them and water would shoot out as they road. Had visions of that on a wave. Make sure to post a photo when that’s shiny.

Oops, my bad. I see you didn’t fill them now. Thought the white was filler. So what are your plans for the holes?

Huh! Yeah the holes are still there. Took the clamps off this morning and it stayed together!! I was just going to make up some wedges with the cedar off-cuts, jam them in and epoxy glue, then plane them flush.

That`s a cool idea with the skim board and the hole drilled in it. If i could angle a hole down aft so that a rooster tail arcs up into the air, like a jet-ski type thing, that would be quite cool! Might be a little distracting in decent sized surf. Cheers. More pics to come…

…holes bunged up

…sanded