recycled longboard into fish or single fin

Hi there to all Swaylockians out there. Reading thru these posts and looking through the boards has inspired me to think beyond the box. I’ve got a longboard which has seen better days. It’s been snapped at least 3 times (that i know of) and has had countless dings repaired and has some serious bottom sink under the back foot area. Thus, it’s time to put the board to pasture. But i’ve decided to recycle it ‘ala shortboard revolution’ style. (Like i said i’ve been inspired) So the result is a 5’10", fish. nose width 17 3/16", tail width 20 13/16" and tail tips 19 7/16" apart and the vee is 6" deep. width is 21 5/8" aft of mid point of board. thickness is 2 5/8". As you can see from the specs,the template of the board is fairly parallel and there’s also very little rocker. I’m gonna glass twin fins with little toe-in and cant. If this board doesn’t work for me, I’m gonna convert it into a single fin diamond tail 5’4". (Since there’s already a 6" deep vee in the 5’10") I’m 5’7" and weigh 145lbs. Will boards of these dimensions float my weight? Any comments on these boards will be appreciated.

145??? ANYTHING will float your weight. Consider yourself blessed! In all seriosness, I have shaped both a retro single fin and a fish out of old longboards. Very easy to do, though one thing to watch out for is when you strip of the old glass you can end up taking a huge hunk o foam off of the rails. Drew

longboard blank = good rocker for fish - now you’re thinking! Good job!

In the early sixties, Cleanlines and I made at least 25 boards in high school from stripped beater boards in Hawaii.

Hmmmmm… I still have the two pieces of my 10’ I snapped… I think one piece is almost 7’. I was thinking of slapping it back together. Maybe a fish would be a better idea…

Walker gave me 4 blanks that had been devoured by his shaping machine, one was about 8’6", I found an area on the blank where I could template a nice 5’6" old school fish. A quickie falsa/balsa paint job and it was soon out front of the Gidget booth at the ASR show

Jim - Got any pics? I’m still kinda partial to my 10’ that I broke though. It was a piece of junk board out of a mold but it stood up to two meatheads and a not-so gentle 17 yr old (myself and my younger brothers) for about two years. I snapped it pulling a floater at low tide in AC (not bright, and not supposed to be done with a longboard, but damn it’s fun!), and I am still not sure if I want to resurrect it or create something out of the pieces. http://www.surfrider.org/southjersey/

broken longboards make damn fine retro single fins. take the broken 7’ piece, flip it, and then shape. Rocker? who needs rocker. Drew

New member,long-time lurker,hi to all.

Sorry to ressurect a very old thread,but I am not sure how to start a new one.

I picked up a broken noserider last week,there’s about 6’6 in the nose section,and 2+ft of the tail. It’s 23’’ wide,about 3’’ thick at the snapped end.

My aim’s to try to turn the 6’6 section into a mini simmons,but the broken board has concave in the nose. I was thinking that it might be better to turn the board,and use the current nose as the tail for the reshape,roll the entry,utilise the existing single concave as exit concave between twin fins. I will cut down and thin the longboard nose section by about a foot,and thin it to reduce the rocker.

I’ve been through Sways since picking up the broken board,and this is the first time i’ve seen that suggests turning the direction of the board might be the correct route to follow (see quote). Is this doable/ advisable,or should I just keep it as a through-concave for the entire board?

I am concerned the nose rocker may be too low on the reshaped board. Is it possible to add foam to the front of the board,perhaps from the chopped off nose section/ broken off tail section of the original longboard?

Please see the attached photo of the board’s profile.

Many thanks for any replies,and apologies for the long first post!