RED DOT.....1962

In 1962, I launched the Red Dot Thrailkill Surfboards. That was some 55 years ago. I still have a few of those original decal/stickers. I’m going to wind down my surfboard building activities, in the near future, and will use those circa 1962 Red Dots on these last specialty boards. Going forward, all of my boards will be polyurethane Foam, with epoxy glassing. Strong, beyond reason. I’ll be doing a 7’ 0’’ x 23’’ BroomTail, Big Boy Pocket Rocket, for an older North Shore regular, as the launch of this last series of Red Dot boards. There will be no restriction on board style, or shape. The year 2018, will mark sixty years that I have been building surfboards. That’s the year I’ll probably step away from the shaping racks.

That’s quite a career, 60 years. Nice that you’re winding down with some special stuff. Hope the all wood boards are still on the itinerary!

It’s gonna be a sad day… but an amazing career and journey through the surfing world with a far reaching hand.

Bill, do you have any pics of this logo?

Sammy,
Search/Google, Andy Anderson Stoked-n-Board, Thrailkill Surfboards. There is some good coverage of various decals I’ve used over the years.

A little grainy cause I zoomed it in but the “red dot” in action.

…Hello Bill, red dot or punto rojo in Spanish always had a connotation with a marihuana special seed and/or the tip of a burning spliff.

I hope you don’t retire from swaylocks as well. I’ve learned and been inspired by many of your posts. Somebody should interview you. You always have great info/stories.

NOT IN MY WORLD.

Ha! Ha! Good one reverb! Watch those burning cherries. My best Aloha shirt has a cherry burn in it that some hippy standing behind me dropped on it at a Dead concert in Santa Barbara. Lowel

RD

Looks like it has a slight cant. Probably makes it turn better.

The glassing, on ALL future Red Dot boards, as mentioned, will be Epoxy glassed, by ‘‘my secret glasser’’, who has industry cred going back to 1970. The Epoxy work he does, exceeds anything I’ve seen, in a long time. And, I’m not an easy guy to impress. Hobie tried to hire me as a glasser, (which I refused) before he hired me as a shaper. He was that impressed with MY glassing. It is my intent to make these last boards I produce, the best in both construction and performance, that I’ve ever made. A special few boards will get the (circa 1970) PRIMO label, as an indication of how special they are. A few boards will also be outfitted with the ‘‘secret foil’’ fins.

OMG say it’s not so! Red Dots AND special secret sauce fins.

I’m also going to sneak in some SharkSkin texture on the fins too!