Red X - Did I just see a bad set?

I recently saw a board (a thruster of about 6’6" or so) with Red X fins. What I noticed on this board was that the fins were sitting about a quarter inch off of the board!!! Is this normal? Or were the plugs somehow set in wrong on this board?? I can’t recall who it was shaped by, but it seemed to be a pretty standard shortboard, without many distinguishing marks. It seemed to me that with the fins sitting off the board like that you would lose a great deal of the fin’s function due to the water sliding between the fin and board, not tracking along the fin and giving you something to push off. Did I just see the one lemon out there amoungst all the greats I here you guys talking about? I’m not actually in the market for a new board, but a curious mind needs to know. Thanks…

I recently saw a board (a thruster of about 6’6" or so) with Red X > fins. What I noticed on this board was that the fins were sitting about a > quarter inch off of the board!!! Is this normal? Or were the plugs somehow > set in wrong on this board?? I can’t recall who it was shaped by, but it > seemed to be a pretty standard shortboard, without many distinguishing > marks. It seemed to me that with the fins sitting off the board like that > you would lose a great deal of the fin’s function due to the water sliding > between the fin and board, not tracking along the fin and giving you > something to push off. Did I just see the one lemon out there amoungst all > the greats I here you guys talking about? I’m not actually in the market > for a new board, but a curious mind needs to know. Thanks… …The boxes were probably ground down too much or there is a cr*p load of rocker in that area or both conditions exsist.I’ve seen the same with other box systems as well,especially with FCS.Herb

With Red X the screw pulls the fin flush to the bottom, may be that they were (the fins) just sitting in the boxes and not tight.

With Red X the screw pulls the fin flush to the bottom, may be that they > were (the fins) just sitting in the boxes and not tight. When installing Red-X you need to make sure that the tabs at the front and rear of the box are resting on the bottom of the board. If they are not, when the boxes are sanded flush to the bottom of the board there will not be enough depth left to pull the fins down flush. The fix for this is easy. Just sand a bit off the bottom of the roots and everything will pull down tight.

Good to know. I was just a little confused about how they could get so much hype if that were really how they worked. My guess is that the fins might just have been in there not tightened, I didn’t fool with them and check. Thanks for filling me in.

just another surfer who can’t use a screwdriver is all…