Redwood Rumor..........................

Legacy board.

GN’s “Art of the Surfboard”

I love it that Bill hasn’t even acquired the wood and this thread is already at 5 pages. Hoping there will be a separate build thread with pictures.

All the best

Got a phone call, from the fellow working on getting the wood. Seems there is a third piece, approximately nine feet long. Word is he will be getting all three pieces. I have not seen the wood yet. He assures me that the deal is going together, and he will be getting the wood. I’m waiting for the next call.

Great, wood coming. Now for the iPhone. (Ha?)

All the best

A simple digital camera might be much more user friendly. Turn on, and one or two seconds later, press the big button while pointing it in the right direction.
It will cost a fraction of an iphone.

Taking pictures would be one thing, but posting pictures would be an even bigger hurdle.

That is really very easy.
As long as the photos were not taken with an all-knowing, data hungry smartphone, but with a cheap digital camera set to just take photos, then it would be quite safe to hand the storage medium (likely an SD card) to a willing helper and ask him/her to pick the best photos and upload them to Swaylocks.

I was just at a party in Bonny Doon, Santa Cruz Mountains, and saw a portable mill on the property. There were several redwood slabs - 10’x 24"x3". The homeowner is not the owner of the slabs, but he thinks they go for about $300. If anyone wants one let me know and I can put you in touch. You would have to drive here to get it.

Well, there’s been an interesting turn of events. The wood is not Redwood, it’s Western Red Cedar! Since many boards in the Plank/Hot Curl era, were made of Cedar, that’s still in line with a period board build. Hope to see the wood this coming week.

I now have the wood (Both Pieces), in my possession. Actual length, nine foot six inches each. Five to six inches thick. Lots of major rough chainsaw marks. Not sure when I’ll start, but the first thing will be to get both sides leveled, and parallel to each other. Then I’ll have a better feel for what I’m up against.

Score! – good luck! Hope there are helping hands near.

I’m still waiting on my wood.

Can’t wait to see what comes of your cedar.

Wow, that sounds intimidating!

Nice Bill! I’m glad the wood arrived. I hope we see the finished product!

As a test, I pulled out the 7.5 amp Skil, with a short bed, and made a few light passes set on near zero. This stuff, appears to be bone dry, and cuts like butter. At least on a super shallow cut. I’m also going to make some test passes with my Bosch (single blade) to see how that feels. I’m considering a variation of the Hot Curl design, that I’m not certain has been done before. Has anyone ever heard of a Pintail Hot Curl? I haven’t. It congers up some interesting visions of how those lines terminate in the tail.

That actually sounds like it is approaching a true fin, interesting!

I think there is an example of such a board in the book “The Ultimate Guide to Vintage Surfboards & Collectibles” and I found this

So I’ve got a couple of planks that we’re given to me a couple of years ago. They are not old growth. Estimating that the tree was a good 40 years plus though. They were rough sawn into planks at about 16" wide and 8’ length. Solid 4 inches thickness. I’ll have to put a tape on them. Had them out the othernite thinking counter or table for my shop. Redwood looks super under resin and cloth. I’ll get a Picture tonite. Lowel

Grumpy,
Great bit of research. The board that Wally is holding, sure does appear to be a pintail. A great photo , taken at Makaha. How about those cars, eh? Talk about collectable!

Still hoping you will find a way to post some pics along the way.

All the best