Redwood Rumor..........................

Too bad you are not in GA. I have a buddy with a 30"joiner (yep 30 wide cutting head). Also a monster cast Iron 36" planer. Jim Phillips used to come to my wood shop that had monster tools.
Good luck on your project. There was a great article in Surfers Journal about Greg Noll making Koa wood boards. I would love to meet that guy.

Yeah I bet the two of you would have plenty to talk about. Come out to Del Norte sometime. Go fishin’ on the Smith River and drop in on Da Bull.

That is my friend Jeff Quam with one of the hot curls shaped for him by Josh Martin.
They have done at least a couple versions so far, Jeff brought a smaller model by for me to check out just a couple months back.
Josh is of course the son of legendary Terry Martin and in my opinion just as skilled a shaper.

FWIW if you are on facebook Josh posts up some nice videos.

one morning at Malbu. He was riding one of these boards. Trimming effortlessly across first point…lovely to watch!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

More from Josh Martin on the hot curl…

http://www.surfer.com/blogs/design-forum/hot-curl/

A wonderful project Josh put together.
Have to say the foam deal, the blank had to be thick!
I studied the nose on shot and I can’t see much deck curve
the bottom? WOW!
Planks they where back then.
FLAT
There where folk that just had to add some Nose rocker.
Guys like,Sykes, the Cole Bros. and Simmons to note a few.
Did what is known as “scarffing”.
Which BTW led to the “Spoon”
Just a wacky thought…

well, I’m now the owner of both 9 foot 6 inch W R C blanks. So, I’m looking to reduce my work load. Does anybody want one of these? An interested party can have their choice of either one of the single piece blanks. I only want to have to shape one of these boards.

TSJ vol 10 no 4

Wow. I am somewhat a glutton for punishment… if I shaped one it would go to a charity auction… like the Cancer Center luau… makes my back hurt just thinking about it though!

Thanks Huck! Mike

Huck,

Sorry for the delay. I just saw your comment.

Here is a picture of the solid balsa gun that you referenced. It ended up at exactly 40 pounds.

It surfs great and the weight isn’t a burden. I once forgot to put my car key in my suit and carried it home two miles with it over my shoulder.

I had originally intended to chamber it, but the wood felt so light. It was only 7 pounds per square foot. Your redwood is probably around 25 pounds per square foot, so it would be more than three times as heavy as mine if left unchambered.

IMG_0269

That issue of The Journal was one of the Best.  That Noll article, keating and Pedro, El Salvador.   All good.  Happened to run across it the other day at the shop and had it laying right here on my coffee table.