Refurbishing Old Board

I recently picked up a 7’6" fun board for next to nothing. I was planning on sanding down the gloss and hot coat (as much as possible) then applying a new hot coat.

How much resin would one coat need? From Green supply the chart says 10 deck 10 oz bottom. Any experienced personnel to confirm this “guideline”? 

Allright kid…I’ll bite.

heres what you do if its a basket case:

1. Scrape all old shit off

2. Sand board to get it clean…a fresh sanded board is a clean board, sand the old hot coat off…its ok to sand into the weave of the board it probably has a 2x6 top and a 6 bottom, but dont burn through to foam…and kep the sander moving. if you heat up a spot you will make a delam aka (bubbled soft spot)

3. fill and repair all dings. 

4. spray waterbased acrylic paint over dings to match board. Use high quality art paint like DickBlick of Liquitex

5. Cover lam board with 4oz cloth.

6. Hot coat

7. Sand hot coat.

6 Poly gloss or spray with Max2K clear coat, or UPOL #1 clear coat.

This will give you a nice resto rider that you can be proud of and show your mom.

Or you can just hot coat it with 10 oz.

-Resinhead.

If I skip the lam process, mainly due to being a broke surfer who lives off $1 tacos, can I still use the water base paint over the old lam and under the new hot coat?

This is really just a beater board. 

Just some background info on the board. 

Major ding on deck. Easy fix route, new foam, couple layers of glass. The board has small stress cracks on gloss coat, mainly on the rails, nose is chipped. Overall it could be patched quickly and shredded. I just wanted to try and make it more durable for the long haul. 

Fix the dings properly (with cloth).  Hotcoat it.   Sand and ride.  Can’t believe anybody (myself included) would give you any advice without pictures.  If you’re a poor surfer that lives on $1.00 tacos;  just put some wax in the dings and ride it.  Makes more sense and less foolishness.

Pictures

Patch the dings with Epoxy.  Seal to match the finish with a clear rattle can spray like Rust-Oleum.  Not worth doing anymore than that.  For the cost of a few tacos you will have a rider, not a wall hanger.

Poly resin will melt that board.  Fix dings with epoxy and move on with your life.  No need to sand the whole board or coat it with anything.  The board is a painted finish.  Paint your dings to match if you must.

Yeah…fill dings, epoxt resin, glass, sand paint with rattle can Krylon.

Didn’t know it was a popout epoxy board.

common sense would tell me to:

Sand down top coat to expose generic fcs fin plugs. Tape off and apply hot coats. Sand open and finish sanding rest of board.