Relief cut Less

Hi all

not sure if anyone has had much of a go at this. No relief cuts in 6oz cloth useing Kwik Kick Epoxy. Worked out pretty well. 

looks nice and tight.  More details on how you did it , please

I’d be more interested to see the bottom. 

What is the weave type?

Is it standard plain or twill weave or something special?

Just for clarification of my question, an image with some example weaving patterns:

And some more info about weaving patterns: http://favonius.com/soaring/materials/material.htm

Not a great picture I know. I’ll also upload a picture of the cloth prior to resin. 

This deck lam coat is the last one so I pretty much grind the glass that’s lapped onto the hull side off, it also gives a nice hard edge to hot coat too. Like I said don’t think I’m doing anything new. Just couldn’t seem to find any info on it. I’ve always thought that relief cuts were always in annoying awkward or critical areas. 

Looks good. 

A few things to think about

you got a big, soft, blocky tail - when it gets more refined things my get clumpy  

You also got a real short tuck once you clean it up, you’ll be pretty thin around the edge. 

If it works for you - keep it up! 

Hey bro cheers for the advice I’ll take as much as I can get.

Yeah there’s a local guy K&K who does the thin pointy stuff so I stay away from that type of board. 

Hey bro. Just the plain porcher 6oz it’s just a plain twill weave. My local glass shop it pretty limited and this and the 4oz version is the only type they do. 

Interesting, I wasn’t aware this was possible.

I’ve always been doing relief cuts. Sailboards have even larger radii so this is a great trick to try out some day.

Thanks for sharing!

Hey bro. 

Yeah I got the idea from this video on YouTube https://youtu.be/aexxZdv780o

I watched whole series. 

He’s awesome and so is the intro. Old guys rule. 

I watched a few minutes of the video.  Not too impressive.  I hate to be critical, but he could learn a thing or two from a surfboard laminator.  Heck, he could learn a thing or two from me.

all the best

Cart is supposed to follow horse.  By avoiding two little scissor cuts that take 3 seconds, you have avoided having laps that wrap the board and provide much needed strength among other purposes.   It can be done… but I wouldn’t.  

…hello, I think would be very difficult in most not so thick not so round tails like that.

Hello Keith; do not see the bad part as you say; those relief cuts should be sanded so they do not add more anything.