Replacing cutter head with shapers barrel

Hey guys, I’m trying to swap out my cutter head on my skil 100 for a shapers barrel. I’m having an issue removing the gear from the shaft before removing the plate. At the moment I’m letting some lubricant sit next to the nut to try and loosen it up. But any recommendations will be very appreciated. I’m based in Portugal so not really and option to send it back to the states.

After inspection I’m concerned that the previous owner or the person who modified it has bent the shaft a tiny bit and that is what is keeping the nut in place. Fml

1 Like

I don’t know anything about Skil planers but could it be a left hand thread?

That nut should come right off. Its been a couple of years since I’ve had one apart and I can’t remember if it is reverse threaded or not. I know I jammed a piece of wood shim between the cog and that post to secure it.

So, after the nut got some tlc it came off no problem. It is a reverse thread if anyone is wondering. Lightly shimmied the barrel off which was a whole other thing but honestly not as hard as I thought it’d be. Putting in the new barrel was easy work.

1 Like