Resin amount cloth yardage multiplier

Hello,

I found this table on the site and i have been working in converting it to mililiters because, well that is my metric system.
The Table:
RESIN AMOUNT PER SURFBOARD and STAND UP PADDLEBOARD LENGTH CHART — Greenlight Surf Co.

There are a few things I don´t understand and if anybody could help i would be gratefull.

A- what is the “cloth yardage multiplier” and how to use it for example ?
B - i am converting the fl oz to mililiters by multipling by 29.6 correct?

Very gratefull for any help concerning this topic.
Cheers
Karl Zivlar

Never really thought about it before.
But I’m guessing the recommended amount of resin used is per yard of cloth. If so, the multiplier is the number of yards of cloth used for a given board length.
I have my own estimate for amount used based on the amount of resin per square foot of cloth.

I’ve used this Greenlight chart on the first two boards I’ve made, (making me no expert) however i just used the figure in the ‘Suggested/ Nax Resin Amount’ column depending on which stage of lamination/ hoat coat I was doing.
Did as you did and multiplied to find millilitres and I had plenty of resin to do each coat.
So I just left the Cloth Yardage Multiplier redundant.
But like I say I’m no expert :call_me_hand:

We have a simple Resin Usage chart available in the “Docs” section of our website footer.

Resin Usage Chart

1 Like

I’m new to Swaylocks and I couldn’t attach a file so I pasted an image of the file. It is from Greenlight Surf and shows the metric equivalent of ounces. I think this will work for your conversion chart.

For surfboards Greenlight recommends 3 oz. of mixed resin (i.e. resin and hardener) per foot of board length plus an additional 3 oz. for single layups and an additional 6 oz. for a double layup. I build wingboards that are wider than surfboards so I adjust accordingly for the extra width. I also add another 3 oz. when laying up carbon as it seems to take more epoxy.

For hotcoats Greenlight recommends 3 oz. per foot of board with no additional resin.

I use a kitchen scale set to grams. I calculate my required epoxy in ounces and pour it out in grams. If I need 18 oz. of epoxy I find it way easier to use the chart and pour out 510 grams of resin with 351 grams of hardener than it is to pour 12.38 oz. of resin with 5.63 oz. of hardener.

Here’s a link to a Greenlight page. If you scroll down you should be able to find the chart and download it.

2 Likes

Hello friends,

Thanks for all the help.
So i did the convesion table multiplying 1 oz by 29.6 mils and i post it here in excel format so everybody can edit it as they want.

I am amazed at this site and how it works and the reason is because sites like swaylocs are the motive why the internet was created originaly (i guess).
I am going to subscribe this site for sure.
Karl Zivlar at BARKADOIDA surfboards.