Resin cord loop

I’m planning on doing a resin cord loop on my next board (poly) instead of a leash plug.  I’ve read the archives and plan on doing it on the lam.  The question I haven’t found an answer for is what resin to use, Lam or Sanding?  Any help?  Thanks

I hate poly.   You should consider using a vinyl ester.  The technique is the same but the resin has better strength and flex properties.     Regardless, I think most people use laminating resin for the leash loop.   

A trick someone showed us on Sways a while back is to use a 3/4" or 1" piece of plastic straw (the fat kind they use for milkshakes) to compress the strands in the “loop” segment of your leash loop.  Then cut it off after the resin sets up.   You get a cylindrical shape and semi-finish on that segment of the loop, which is easy to finish.   You bundle your strands and slide the straw segment to one end, wet everything out, and slide the straw into the middle, then wet out the dry section that the straw had been covering.    If you make the leash loop big enough you can attach the leash directly to it without using a string.  If you’re going to do that, just make sure you position to loop right so that the rail saver can work to protect your rails.  .   

I put this one on a stubby so I positioned it at the tail block so I wouldn’t be stepping on it.  I velcro the leash right onto the loop so there is no string.  If you were doing a fish you could span the inside corner of the buttcrack and keep the leash from underfoot.  

That kind of loop will snap so fast it’s not even funny.  Lengthwise and use more strands.  Poly lam resin and a straw.  You can place the loop after you’ve lammed.  Trim it up with a razor blade and pull the straw.  Hot coat it and sand.  Don’t fill the loop with resin when you hotcoat…

Resin alone will fail almost immediately. Don’t you intend to use some glass strands?

Do it after the lam. I use a pencil wrapped in wax paper to create the hole for the leash cord. I tape that to the deck, then lay the resin soaked glass over it. Resin doesn’t stick to wax paper and once it gels you remove the pencil.

I normally go lengthwise when it’s a longboard, but this is a 5-10 that I built a couple years back so it’s not very heavy.  And I glass in epoxy.  I’ve done this a lot with fishies and hadn’t had any failures yet, but sure enough the next time I surf this one will be the time one of these fails.   

Thanks.  I did it yesterday.  I used 6 strands of fin rope, lam resin and put a couple of 4 ounce patches over the ends.  I went length wise and used a straw.   I would say it came out ok.  I think I might use a few more strands of fin rope next time or a thinner straw.  

Thanks again

I don’t even use straws.  But every time I go into Mickey D’s too get an Ice tea, I make a point of grabbing a couple.  They did away with plastic bags up here, so I assume plastic straws are next.

I bought a box of the fat straws at Smart-n-Final a few years back and have been using those.    

…is like Mcding is saying plus you should use 4oz cloth (at 45º) on top of the extremes.

6 strands of 4 or 6 ounces?! it will break in no time. You should use continuous roving thread and cut more than one piece (that have plenty of thin strands) the same that you use with the glass ons fins.

The other way to do it is with some fin panel scrap; cut a nice piece and laminate the threads on top then the 4oz patches. You can do the hole before or after.

The other loop is with rope but after a while the cotton etc will worn out. You do two holes in the board then cut the rope do two knots in each extreme then do a paste similar to what you use for the leash plug. Dig the knots in the holes and fill (delimit with tape to have 2 squares besides the holes)

I probably used at least 30 strands (maybe more) of 6oz and wetted it out with epoxy.  I squeezed a lot of the resin out with the straw section as I moved it to the center of my stack.  It barely fit.  

That’s a good idea.  I’ve got a stack of them up next to the windshield of my van…   Got a couple more this AM with my two Sweet Tea and Sausage Biscuit.

There have been pics in older threads on this subject that made Retro Leash Loops an art form.  But my favorite leash attachment (at least for a longboard) is still the longboard box drill thru.  

I have yet to get a roving only loop I really like…so I just use fin stock or resin pour off. Then cap with roving or several layers of glass. They are holding up pretty well in some pretty nasty surf…

I normally do the drill through on long boards.  In any case, I generally surf like I’m not wearing a leash.  I keep the board under me and control my kick outs.  i use the leash to to protect others, not to save my self from swimming.  Then again, where I surf is usually pretty mellow.   

Very nice work as usual.

Left the stringer high for this.

I didn’t mention it previously, but I have a young friend who recently spent the summer in Costa Rica.  He was able to get Robert August to shape him a nice little Fish.  He had a local guy in CR glass it for him.  Clear board with a loop. The loop looked almost identical to the one you did.  So yours is the second one I have seen.  Just thought it was funny that having never seen one done that way, I see two just alike in a short time.

Since we are talking about leash attachment;  I was wondering if any of you have made your own leash string from scratch.  This would be the string that attaches the leash to your resin loop or leash plug.  Most leashes come with one that is threaded thru one end of a “rail saver” strap on the leash at the board end swivel.  But sometimes that string is frayed or needs to be replaced.  You can usually buy these at a surf shop for about $2.  But if not;  Have you ever made one?  I have a hard time finding the desired cord.  I usually resort to “Parachute” cord that can be bought at ACE or Big Five.  I cut a piece about 15" long.  Form a loop and put a half hitch at the loose ends.  Then I use a gas grill lighter to burn the frayed ends.  In the process of burning the ends to the point that they stick together.  I would prefer to use a better cord, but have difficulty finding the type used to make the surf shop ties.

I don’t know if I ever commented on that leash attachment using the stringer.  Pretty creative.  With your Artist background though; I am not completely suprised.  Pretty unique.  In fact one of a kind.  I also like the tailblock you ended up with.   You should do more Pinlines, because those are damned good.  Especially for somebody who doesn’t do them that often.  Lowel

I used extremely overpriced Kevlar core fireproof string that I get from work. Workers use it to tie hoses and wires up out of the way, but they typically get left laying around or thrown away when they are done. Most are already precut to 18" and everything. The only downside is you can’t use a lighter to melt the ends to prevent fraying like mcding said, because fireproof. If anyone wants to try it out let me know.