Resin inquiry

Hey guys,
I’m new to sway locks so not sure if I’m doing this right.
I’ve just recently picked up a 1970s single fin in rough shape, I’ve not fiberglassed before but I’m determined to fix it myself.
Was just wondering I’ve found polyester resin in BCF (500ml for $8, the photo is of the 250ml one) a lot cheaper than the resins I’ve found online not including having to pay for shipping as well, the only thing was that on the description it says for fiberglass matting and I just wanted to make sure that it would work okay on fiberglass cloth (I’m new to this stuff so I’m just trying to get my head around it all) this board is really in quite rough shape so I’m not trying to make it look perfect or anything I just want to be able to get it in the water and surf it without having to keep repairing cracks from bad fiberglassing so would this resin be okay to use or would I be better off buying proper resin from a surf organization?A photo of the resin hopefully is attached…
Thanks heaps, Archie

Hi Archie-

Cheap cloth and cheap resin are more difficult to use and less pleasing cosmetically. I would save some hassle instead of money and get some surfboard resin and some surfboard cloth (clear treatment) for the repairs.

Here is a recent thread where the OP decided to use a general purpose resin instead of a surfboard resin. If you read through the comments there will be answers in line with your questions and some pictures of the results.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/delam-skeg-repair-help

PS. Forgot my manners. Welcome to the forum. Use the search function, keep an open mind and a sense of humor and you’re sure to learn something.

Thanks heaps J,
I really appreciate the reply and that defiantly makes a lot of sense so I’ll be sure to get some proper surf resin and cloth to make sure that I don’t get a nasty fiberglass job haha Ill have a look at that other thread right now
Thanks, Archie