Resin life span?! Can I lam? Calling all glassers !!

Hi there ,
Firstly let me thank you in advance for your hard earned knowledge and tips…

So, a few years ago, say two or three?, I bought a 55g drum of silmar 249 laminating resin as I was really going for it and was going to glass tons of boards!!.. Well… that didn’t happen. I did glass some for sure but I would be out of my shop for months at a time then go back and glass etc, etc.
Long story short, I’m ready to glass more boards and I think my resin has got a little bit thicker, although it might be the cold?!
I have about half the drum left. Its stored inside in a relatively cool room. Actually its pretty cold in there right now as its winter up here!

My questions are - 
  • Is there a definite life span of resin?, if so what is it?
  • would the cold affect it and make it thicker?
  • if its because the Styrene has evaporated can I add some to my resin each time I mix a batch to lam/hotcoat etc ?
  • Will the thicker resin have weakened? , basically is it still ok to use or will the board be compromised etc?

I know that’s a ton of questions to answer but any help with this one would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone that has worked in a glass shop. Thank you so much for your time, Cheers.

Can you? Yes…
Should you? Ehhhhhhhh
Generally the lifespan is 6 months or so.

You probably had a bunch of styrene evaporate so you will have to re-add some.

See what the consistency is at 70-ish degrees F.

Thanks AquaGlassing for your speedy response! Wow, 6 months… I’ve prob glassed 15 or so boards with old resin then, Oh well, no one has complained yet!!

• Is there anything negative that you know of that can happen to a board that has been glassed with older resin?? Anything I should be concerned with??

• Should I even bother trying to add styrene or should I just get new resin? I would like to try and use this resin if I can, as I have it.

I will heat up my room today and get the room to 70 and see what the consistency of the resin is like and report back.

• If it is still like molasses when the room is at 70, how much styrene should I add. Lets say per 32 ozs of res, so I can work out ratio?

Any help you could give me regarding these questions is most appreciated, and thanks for your time, Cheers.

I’m not a pro glasser, but I work in industrial coatings and this is a common issue we deal with. Have you ever worked with a zahn cup?
No one can tell you how much styrene to add. It has to be determined by taking a viscosity reading of your current resin and comparing it to a reading of some fresh resin. The simplest way to do this is with a zahn cup. This will not give you a true viscosity in centipoise. Rather it gives a simple measurement (in seconds) that you can use to determine what to do. I’m sure The internet is full of zahn vids, so I’ll spare you the details.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a container of resin that was still useable after two years. If yours is still in a liquid state, even though on the thick side, I can only assume the container was sealed really tight.
As others said, warm it up first and see how it flows. If you still have half the drum left that’s a lot of resin to throw away and worth enough $ to try to salvage. Maybe do a test batch and see how it behaves? After you warm it up, of course.

Well, I just learned something new. I’d never heard of a zahn cup before. I did the Google thing and learned about it. Seems like a very simple item to detrmine viscosity. Low tech, and effective.

I’ve had resin purchased ‘fresh’ off the shelf and found it to be lumpy and crystalized. I strained it through cheesecloth and once the chunks were removed what was left seemed OK. That said, I think I’d much prefer using resin that was actually fresh. I’ve since given up on purchasing even 5 gallon cans… if I don’t use it up pretty quick, it’s too sketchy.

Do a quick test sample. Odds are its fine. Get busy and use it up before it really does go to waste.

Make a big batch of fin panels, tables, or other stuff like multi colored resin blocks for tails to use as much as you can.