Resin Swirl lamination Video

I made a new lamination video showing Austin doing a resin swirl. I thought it came out decent (lighting could have been a little bit better) and I decided to upload it to youtube. After the upload like a dumb @#$ I went ahead and deleted the stock footage because it takes up so much room on my computer. I found out when I looked at the uploaded footage that for some reason it cut out the last minute of video and it didn’t upload the background music. Not the best but I thought you might still want to see it.

Troy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTVEm-M9DXo

do you have a pic of the finished board?

Hey Sonny,

I might be able to steal an image off the DVD that I burned but like I said all the original footage is gone. I will see what I can do.

Troy

Bookmarked – genius! Thanks so much for sharing that. I have to say that video had portions which were better than lam videos that cost money! Zooming in on the squeegee and following it so closely enabled me to see every detail as if I was there – brilliant stuff.

If you ever need hard drive space for laminating videos, please PM me! I’ll be happy to store them for you for free. I wouldn’t want any more epic laminating footage to ever be deleted!

I’m inspired. I’m going to try that, come hell or high water. If you see a mushroom cloud over San Diego, you’ll know I died trying ;>)

Can you go into a tiny bit of detail about the blending of a given bucket? It looks like you’re adding varying amounts of blue/purple colors, and pouring those blends onto the cloth – I’m good with that. The only thing I’m wondering about is how you make a bucket of the blend in the first place. Is there clear resin in the bucket, and then you add a large quantity of Color A, followed by small amounts of colors B and C? What’s the (very rough?) estimate of the ratio of resins in a bucket?

If that’s secret, don’t answer, and thanks again for the video!

Thanks for the motivation T Sanders. Great video.

Hey Etmo ,

I told you it wasn’t that hard. Looking forward to seeing you do a swirl…

You can do it!!!

Ray

great stuff

Know I have the missing piece to the puzzle

looked like having a helper blend while you pour the first two buckets is a big help

And it looks like you used about 3/4 of a gallon of resin for a longboard

wow! love it

give us more… please

Quote:

Hey Etmo ,

I told you it wasn’t that hard. Looking forward to seeing you do a swirl…

You can do it!!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I’ll definitely be setting it up…just have to get the ventilation thing better so my wife doesn’t kill me next time I do a poly…

Absolutely Bookmarked!

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

Can you go into a tiny bit of detail about the blending of a given bucket? It looks like you’re adding varying amounts of blue/purple colors, and pouring those blends onto the cloth – I’m good with that. The only thing I’m wondering about is how you make a bucket of the blend in the first place. Is there clear resin in the bucket, and then you add a large quantity of Color A, followed by small amounts of colors B and C? What’s the (very rough?) estimate of the ratio of resins in a bucket?

If that’s secret, don’t answer, and thanks again for the video!

First you pick your main color. In this case it was a light tint turquoise. The smaller amount that you start with of your main color and the more accent color you add you will get a tighter pattern. The larger amount of main color and the smaller amount of accent color you add you get a looser pattern. The more you stir it after you add the accents the tighter swirl you get when you dump it out. You mix too much and you get MUD. We use a ton of resin because this way you don’t have to work the resin to cover the board you just dump it on and pull it off. A lot of people mud their pattern by working it too much. If you have blank spaces use your original color to fill it in.

Patterns change by every little step you change. That is why we love doing them. Each and everytime you get something different.

Troy

How much more resin do you use doing the swirls vs. a normal tint/no color lam?

TS thanks for another great post.

Your vid explained a lot of those details that a swirl virgin can’t envisage when reading up on the subject.

This is real Sway’s Gold.

Cheers

Mooneemick