resin tints

today, and for the first time ever, i tried a full board green tint on my lamination, i glassed it perfectly, but the color is slightly uneven. i mixed and strained my resin and all that, but it just came out a little bit darker in some spots. is there a way i can cover this up a little bit or make it look a little cleaner? thanks for the help -steve

you probably have some options, Steve. you said you did a full board tint so i’m going to assume that you’ve laminated both bottom and deck, but haven’t hot-coated yet. if you got your color by using just one pigment, you can mix a small batch equal in intensity to, or just a shade darker than the original and brush on an entire coat without wax as thinly as possible. or you can try to feather in as touch-up just over your light spots (but then using a darker mix goes out the window). considering it’s a tint, it could be trickier than i think…but you can always do a test light spot and see how it turns out. i’ve done this with an opaque on upper rail lap, but never with a tint.>>> today, and for the first time ever, i tried a full board green tint on my > lamination, i glassed it perfectly, but the color is slightly uneven. i > mixed and strained my resin and all that, but it just came out a little > bit darker in some spots. is there a way i can cover this up a little bit > or make it look a little cleaner? thanks for the help -steve

you probably have some options, Steve. you said you did a full board tint > so i’m going to assume that you’ve laminated both bottom and deck, but > haven’t hot-coated yet. if you got your color by using just one pigment, > you can mix a small batch equal in intensity to, or just a shade darker > than the original and brush on an entire coat without wax as thinly as > possible. or you can try to feather in as touch-up just over your light > spots (but then using a darker mix goes out the window). considering it’s > a tint, it could be trickier than i think…but you can always do a test > light spot and see how it turns out. i’ve done this with an opaque on > upper rail lap, but never with a tint. Don’t feel bad Steve,green tints are gruesome for even a pro glasser. Blue is worse. These colors will enhance every flaw in a blank(foam pour lines.scratches etc.) If the guys from Swaylocks come up with a good remedy I will be all over it. Next time you might try adding white pigment to get kind of a semi-opaque look. This could be a whole new question…the search for the perfect tint.

Don’t feel bad Steve,green tints are gruesome for even a pro glasser. Blue > is worse. These colors will enhance every flaw in a blank(foam pour > lines.scratches etc.) If the guys from Swaylocks come up with a good > remedy I will be all over it. Next time you might try adding white pigment > to get kind of a semi-opaque look.>>> This could be a whole new question…the search for the perfect tint. The problem may be from areas that were “floated” heavier that those around it. When squeegeeing, it is best to pull dry, refloat, pull off again, rewet and skim off several times. It takes using a slightly slower gel time, but the results will be cleaner.

Just a tip I found in an old cookbook. “Per your discussion about tinting you said you always see pin air or the tint isnt even Here is what you do. Pour out about a cup and a half of your colour mix and save it. Laminate your board. Wait till the resin sets up just enough so the cloth won’t move. Add enough resin to your saved color so that it is weaker than your original pour and lam the board again. Take a dry brush and brush out any streaks and drips being sure to brush all the way underneath to the tape line. Kick it hot. You can also carefully use the squeegie on the underside of the rails too…just be sure not to leave any thick spots or drips.” ----Betty Crocker TS>>> Don’t feel bad Steve,green tints are gruesome for even a pro glasser. Blue > is worse. These colors will enhance every flaw in a blank(foam pour > lines.scratches etc.) If the guys from Swaylocks come up with a good > remedy I will be all over it. Next time you might try adding white pigment > to get kind of a semi-opaque look.>>> This could be a whole new question…the search for the perfect tint.

Just a tip I found in an old cookbook.>>> “Per your discussion about tinting you said you always see pin air or > the tint isnt even Here is what you do. Pour out about a cup and a half of > your colour mix and save it. Laminate your board. Wait till the resin sets > up just enough so the cloth won’t move. Add enough resin to your saved > color so that it is weaker than your original pour and lam the board > again. Take a dry brush and brush out any streaks and drips being sure to > brush all the way underneath to the tape line. Kick it hot. You can also > carefully use the squeegie on the underside of the rails too…just be sure > not to leave any thick spots or drips.” ----Betty Crocker>>> TS TOM: you nailed it thats been my trick, to save a little in a cup or a jar and after it sets do a paint coat of the same color or a light dilution of it and then squegee it in, i go over the laps and rails with a squegee then light paint brush then squegee again -my tint work might not be the best but its far from the worst,but I too am always open to any new (to me) ideas that will improve my color work.

cdb: I keep meaning to call you and get some info on resin pigments and check on the Walker Foam. Are you still thinking about stocking a few of them? Tom S.>>> TOM: you nailed it thats been my trick, to save a little in a cup or a jar > and after it sets do a paint coat of the same color or a light dilution of > it and then squegee it in, i go over the laps and rails with a squegee > then light paint brush then squegee again -my tint work might not be the > best but its far from the worst,but I too am always open to any new (to > me) ideas that will improve my color work.

cdb:>>> I keep meaning to call you and get some info on resin pigments and check > on the Walker Foam. Are you still thinking about stocking a few of them?>>> Tom S. Yep Iam very serious about building up my inventory of surfboard supplies–by the way that board looks great some of those colors are outstanding(turq,biege,) you really did a great job loks like one of those Mexican poncho things made me want to eat tacos for lunch when I saw it–by far one of the best stripe jobs I’ve seen—give me a call

did you try a fix, or just let it go? just curious. ramon>>> today, and for the first time ever, i tried a full board green tint on my > lamination, i glassed it perfectly, but the color is slightly uneven. i > mixed and strained my resin and all that, but it just came out a little > bit darker in some spots. is there a way i can cover this up a little bit > or make it look a little cleaner? thanks for the help -steve

TOM: you nailed it thats been my trick, to save a little in a cup or a jar > and after it sets do a paint coat of the same color or a light dilution of > it and then squegee it in, i go over the laps and rails with a squegee > then light paint brush then squegee again -my tint work might not be the > best but its far from the worst,but I too am always open to any new (to > me) ideas that will improve my color work. Clay, What’s up w/ that verbal donnybrook between Jim and that idiot! Hope your Camp goes well. Rumor re: a retail store for CB Surfboards??? JC

well, since my color came out just a little lighter than i had hoped for, i brushed over the board with more tinted lam resin, then i tinted a hotcoat. there are still a few small streaks, but overall, its lookin pretty good. thanks for all the info