Resin Tip Nose on shortboards

Hey! I was wondering how to make the extra resin at the end of most shortboard noses. It is usually about a 1/4" of clear resin (maybe no fiberglass). I have only seen them on pretty pointy noses that are very pulled in. Thanks!

The board’s nose starts out as fiberglassed. When hotcoating, make a little cup of tape for extra resin to pool up. You can do this during hotcoat or in another stage.
Once hard, sand to whatever shape you want. Be careful not to sand into the cloth underneath.
This is just one way of doing it.

Great! Thanks for the help

Just like Marc said. In addition, I add chopped fiberglass to the resin to make it stronger.

2 Likes

When hot coating the bottom pull tape arround the middle of the rails and conect left and right rail tape extended in a litlle triangle in front of the nose ( reeinforce the triangle under so it does not leak resin)
Also level the front of the board because if it has the curve from the rocker and it will drip the resin out and not stay flat for sanding.

Note- you can use the same technique to make a nicer looking edge on the tail.
Example, put tape arround the rails in the tail untill 20 cms in front of the side fins.
Tape must be 0.5 mm higher then the bottom and blending into midlle of the rail where the edge finishes.

I have pictures of the process, i will post them when i acess the pc.
Cheers and good waves.

Awesome! thanks for the help :call_me_hand: