Retro Swirl Technique Video

A quick little video that we produced on our new Retro Swirl Pattern. Run time is about 5 minutes so if you don’t have a fast modem get a snack. http://www.austinsurfboards.com/retroswirl.wmv

Troy

www.austinsurfboards.com

Austin, Thanks! That is a great video. You just answered about 352 questions I’ve had stored up regarding marble tints. You deserve an award for being so generous with your knowledge and techniques. Gives me much more confidence to do one of those boards. Thanks again. Doug

real nice video, i really want to try that but i have very little glassing experience is that going to be a problem. it doenst look like its all that different i guess the key is making sure the resin doesnt kick so soon.

so lay down the color resin and then add a little resin with out color right at the end to finish the job.

Turbohog,

Yeah having the resin kick early is no fun.

The fill wasn’t clear on this board, it was a very light blue. We mixed light blue with yellow, light green, and dark blue for accents and finally used more light blue to fill in the large spots that resin didn’t hit. This keeps that spot nice and blue when you start pulling the resin across. Otherwise you would get a muted color in the blank spaces.

It helps to have an extra pair of hands when you do the various swirl techniques!

thanks for the advice. yeah i relly want to try it but i really dont want to have a muddy mess on the bottom of my board.

wow what a great video. One question how much resin are you using in total cause it seems like you are using close to a gallon. Looks great though, thanks for the time and effort you put into the video.

thanx for that vid, man…it totally rocked. and the finished board wasn’t bad either!!! btw, great choice for background music…“Singlefin: Yellow” is one of my all-time favorites.

could I do this with UV cure or does the first design that you lay out have to start setting up earlier to keep it the design in place?

Every video post i see from you answers endless questions on good technique

Arrrggghh…another wmv…my work mac hates those!! Guess I will look at the abode later…got it in q-time format?? Have fun…

I worked at a glass shop this summer, and we used UV catalyst in our resin swirls. It works fine. Infact i would recomend it especially if you have less experience. That way your resin won’t kick until you take it out in the sun. Plenty of time to take your time.

D

Hey soulslider,

we used just over a gallon for this particular swirl. the reason we use so much is in order to get crisp, brilliant color. When you use fewer colors you can use less resin. The worst thing you can do for a swirl would be to try a lot of different colors and a small amount of resin…mud city.

Austin S.

www.austinsurfboards.com

i caNT REALLY GET BUT BITS AND PEICES…my computer , messed up also…but its stuff like this that keeps me picking up the resin tints , instead of my lonely paint gun…thanks.

I just sold my Austin a couple months back. A real work of art.