Reverse rockers & Tankers

I want to build a noserider (around 10’), flat entry rocker with lots of tail rocker. I am thinking 3.5 nose rocker and 4.5" tail. I am willing to sacrifice manuverablity for tip time. In the past I read a post where Jim Phillips had said a 10’1"Y with reverse rocker will net a good noserider. What about a 10’3" (edwards blank) with reverse rocker? Has anyone had any luck with this blank? I am leaning more to this blank because it is flatter and thicker, and with the rocker reversed I can get the flatter entry rocker that I am looking for with the flipped tail. I’m 6’ 200 lbs., good paddler. This board is for summer time Florida conditions, something I can take out when it is 1’to 2’ and have fun on. I will glass it with volan-I like em big and heavy. Oh yeah I saw in the catalog something about thickness distribution in the 10’3" is kind of weird in the nose? It does not effect the deck but makes the blank appear to be twisted. Has anyone dealt with this, or could provide more info on it. Thanks to all.

Oh yeah I saw in the catalog something about thickness distribution in the > 10’3" is kind of weird in the nose? It does not effect the deck but > makes the blank appear to be twisted. Has anyone dealt with this, or could > provide more info on it. … The only thing I noticed on the last 10’3" I purchased is that the foam is slightly misaligned with the stringer in the nose, but only in the last 1/2 inch or so. It’s not twisted, the foam is just a little below the stringer. It’s nothing to be concerned about. Just whack off the last 1/2 inch or so off the nose.

Have you ever ordered one with any rocker changes or just Natural? What do you think of the reverse rocker idea?

Mike: For sometime now I have had one surfboard on the top of my want list and finally I got my hands on one. The Con Ugly was not a very elegant looking surfboard but reportedly a great noserider. According to some of the historical data I’ve found on this board it featured a reverse rocker design among other modifications. A few years ago a load of Midget Smith “Smugly” models showed up at a local shop I frequent. I’m not sure if Midget Smith worked for or with Con Colburn in the past but it seems he has a good grasp of the original design. They sat there unsold for the better part of a year and finally the shop owner marked them down to move 'em out. I kicked myself for a year for not breaking down and buying one. Later that year I actually found the one I’d nearly bought in a friend’s garage and he never really rode it or liked it. This past Saturday we did a trade deal that made both of us happy. Yesterday morning we had an excellent swell showing to try it out on. I was impressed, not only with the noseriding but with the handling of a board with such parrallel rails (read plank-like profile). Specs.- 9’0" N-19.0 W-22.0 T-16.0 Concave nose area with tucked under rail front 1/3. Soft 50/50 rails from just behind the concave all the way to the tail. Tail rocker appears to be at least 1" greater than the low entry rocker, sorry I haven’t had time to measure this. The Yater blanks with reverse rocker(9’1"Y, 9’9" and 10’3") looks like they would work for this shape. Fin box is posistioned at 5.0" rather than 6.0" from the square tail. My only regret is that it is not a 9’6". TS>>> Have you ever ordered one with any rocker changes or just Natural? What do > you think of the reverse rocker idea?

Have you ever ordered one with any rocker changes or just Natural? What do > you think of the reverse rocker idea? Last one I ordered with -(minus)1/2" Nose rocker in the last 24". Still fine-tuning the shape, so haven’t ridden it yet. It’s a minor adjustment, but I’m hoping to add a little more planing speed and nose-ride capability. I’m thinking I could have brought the rocker down from the center instead of the last 24", but I’m experimenting with this subtle adjustment. It’s already a fairly flat rocker, which is nice. I also thin out the foil quite a bit in the tail from the bottom only (last 36" or so), adding more bottom rocker in the tail. I’m wanting to do a reverse-rocker for my next 10-footer. I think it’s a great idea if you want a more specialized board. I probably wouldn’t bring it out in double-overhead waves or anything though.

I want to build a noserider (around 10’), flat entry rocker with lots of > tail rocker. I am thinking 3.5 nose rocker and 4.5" tail. I am > willing to sacrifice manuverablity for tip time.>>> In the past I read a post where Jim Phillips had said a 10’1"Y with > reverse rocker will net a good noserider. What about a 10’3" (edwards > blank) with reverse rocker? Has anyone had any luck with this blank? I am > leaning more to this blank because it is flatter and thicker, and with the > rocker reversed I can get the flatter entry rocker that I am looking for > with the flipped tail. I’m 6’ 200 lbs., good paddler.>>> This board is for summer time Florida conditions, something I can take out > when it is 1’to 2’ and have fun on. I will glass it with volan-I like em > big and heavy. Darn near every board I have(long or midlength) has come out of the Edwards blank.The rocker as is,is flat enough, I think, for what you want.I have a 9’ spoon that was made from the reversed Yater blank-the board is perhaps my all-time favorite longboard.Another reason for the Edwards, as you stated, it has enough thickness to give you room to play with.Good luck! > Oh yeah I saw in the catalog something about thickness distribution in the > 10’3" is kind of weird in the nose? It does not effect the deck but > makes the blank appear to be twisted. Has anyone dealt with this, or could > provide more info on it.>>> Thanks to all.

i’ve used the 10’1Y blank, and i will be using it again real soon, i absolutely love it. has very flat rocker and is nice and thick, makes a perfect noserider. get a classic foam blank and put 2 layers of 10oz volan on each side with a 3/8 deep concave going back 43-47 inches and you will have the time of your life. -steve>>> I want to build a noserider (around 10’), flat entry rocker with lots of > tail rocker. I am thinking 3.5 nose rocker and 4.5" tail. I am > willing to sacrifice manuverablity for tip time.>>> In the past I read a post where Jim Phillips had said a 10’1"Y with > reverse rocker will net a good noserider. What about a 10’3" (edwards > blank) with reverse rocker? Has anyone had any luck with this blank? I am > leaning more to this blank because it is flatter and thicker, and with the > rocker reversed I can get the flatter entry rocker that I am looking for > with the flipped tail. I’m 6’ 200 lbs., good paddler.>>> This board is for summer time Florida conditions, something I can take out > when it is 1’to 2’ and have fun on. I will glass it with volan-I like em > big and heavy.>>> Oh yeah I saw in the catalog something about thickness distribution in the > 10’3" is kind of weird in the nose? It does not effect the deck but > makes the blank appear to be twisted. Has anyone dealt with this, or could > provide more info on it.>>> Thanks to all.

where do you get these edwards blanks? or even walker blanks for that matter. all i ever see are clark’s>>> Darn near every board I have(long or midlength) has come out of the > Edwards blank.The rocker as is,is flat enough, I think, for what you > want.I have a 9’ spoon that was made from the reversed Yater blank-the > board is perhaps my all-time favorite longboard.Another reason for the > Edwards, as you stated, it has enough thickness to give you room to play > with.Good luck!

i’ve used the 10’1Y blank, and i will be using it again real soon, i > absolutely love it. has very flat rocker and is nice and thick, makes a > perfect noserider. get a classic foam blank and put 2 layers of 10oz volan > on each side with a 3/8 deep concave going back 43-47 inches and you will > have the time of your life. -steve…Steve, The Edward blank is a Clark blank, it’s the 10’3"

where do you get these edwards blanks? or even walker blanks for that > matter. all i ever see are clark’s Clark carries blanks that the molds were designed by various shapers -edwards, stuart, rusty, rawson and so on. I don’t know where to get walker foam at or even what they offer.

stupid mistake… i should have known that one. im still trying to figure out where to get walker foam though

stupid mistake… i should have known that one. im still trying to figure > out where to get walker foam though Unfortunately, Walker doesn’t have a Web site. Also, you usually need to have a re-sale number to buy from him… He’s pretty much wholesale only. Go to Gene Cooper’s site (www.cooperfishsurfboards.com)and e-mail Gene. He’s got all the contact info for Walker. He may even have Walker’s address posted on his site in the “Info” or “Materials” section. I can’t remember exactly. Walker is near Harbor City, CA.