Rick Griffin art...

Here’s an album cover he allegedly did.  Not to get all political but the song after which the album is titled was ahead of it’s time.

[[{“fid”:“108066”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

Wow!  I hadn’t Ever seen that one.

Not “allegedly”. He damn sure did this one. Steppenwolf’s “Monster” LP. People would be surprised to learn how many LP covers he did. I own a few that I’ve never even opened. I bought them for the cover art but know I don’t want to hear the music (Christian stuff).

One thing he did thats been seen by millions and most don’t know it’s his, was the original masthead for Rolling Stone, back when it was in newspaper format.

The cover art for the Steppenwolf LP also appeared in Griffin’s self published book “Man From Utopia”. A few other images in that book were used on other projects such as a poster he did for a concert by The Who. Here’s a photo of the Monster drawing as it appears in the book. It’s on the 13th page

Yeah… with all the scuttlebutt over on the Griffin board thread, I didn’t want to stir up any more of a ruckus.  Hence, ‘allegedly.’  I’m sure he did the artwork but there are loads of stories about counterfeit art in the art world.  If I didn’t actually watch it being done, I’m left to trust some ‘expert’ and his/her opinion. Needless to say, I don’t trust signatures and I don’t trust experts… UNLESS they were on the internet!

If you own the Steppenwolf LP there is a credit for the cover art that clearly states it’s Griffin’s work.

Most any modern record includes the cover art credit. I even have a Richard Pryor LP that has Griffin’s art, and he’s credited.

Also, your vague hint about the prescience of the title song is in one way accurate, but it was also relevant at the time the LP was released in 1969. The lyrics were mainly a commentary on the Viet Nam war.

Yes, I’m old enough to remember.  Played it to death.  You know… back in the day when they made those funny black plastic platters with grooves on 'em. 

So you trust record companies and the bands they employ?

Not sure what you’re getting at, here? I know full well that record companies are just another business focused on the bottom line. They are notorious for screwing bands out of money, that’s common knowledge. As to how that relates to the credits for cover art, I see no correlation. I trust bands more than some guys in suits who are beholden to the stockholders.

I have been working with musicians since 1967 and count many of them as close friends. They get screwed over by a lot of people who claim to be on their side.

It seems you are hinting that some bands are dishonest about the artwork used on their releases? Never heard anyone make that accusation before. If anything, the people who did the cover art got shorted or stiffed by the record label via some BS legal trickery or contractual loophole. But in this particular case we are talking about an LP that has artwork done by Griffin and that is easily verified.

Yeah, must really grate some, that so much of Griffin’s work was full “Born Again”.  Christian.  His work and affiliation with Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa/Maranatha is self evident.  But his secular work as well is heavily themed.  It was almost like he would do the work and if you didn’t like it;  You didn’t have to use it.   “Wake of the Flood “. Being a good example.  As Griffin put a scripture reference on that art that was removed before printing.

what is that lump under the carpet of the surf club house?

stoby the surfboard should be act two in the broadway play…

walking on water should be the third act…

and copping relative album art music would be manditory,

rolf aurness should write the score

no wilsons need apply…un.less someone can channel dennis

start it out at the santa monica high school where bud brown showed his films

redoo the makaha surf detergent skit an’special effect the .wave simulation…

throw water on the front row like at the circus…{dehydrated}

I consider Murphy a cousin.

griffin was…from down south

bless his heart.

and his mortal soul…

somebody shoulda paid him 35,000$ when he was alive.

shame on the ppirates ,may they be lost a hundred feet underground on

barf island and make a six season documentary about 'em…

…ambrose…

what would the great FAVAD say?

what ever he said

after he was done

he would say

I Have SP-OOOOO-KEN

A mouse

See below

lets collect votes

My ageing mind says

lizard.mascot…

…ambrose…

the spirit of the

Mo’o ?

I’m pretty sure the mascot was a mouse. I have the cartoon. Will check and report back wth my findings.

You are correct, ambrose. It was a lizard.

Monster – both commentary and prophecy.

The Pentagon Papers.

And the machine crushes anything obstructing its path…

Hi Sammy -

I’m not saying it is or isn’t by Rick Griffin.  My take is that he did it, but I’m no expert. 

I’m also not an expert in the music industry but I’m pretty sure that ‘studio musicians’ are used in much the same way as ‘ghost shapers’ are used in the surfboard industry.  Neither is generally credited in a proper way.  With that in mind, it wouldn’t be a huge leap to suggest that the music industry might not be completely trustworthy.  Whether that applies to cover art or not…   who knows?

I hesitate to accept any published credits, or lack of, from an industry I distrust.  That goes with the surfboard industry as well as the music industry.  

Musicians?  I’ve heard of legal cases regarding rip offs of one sort or another, so… same deal.  For me anyway.

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/10/a-triumph-of-spirit-led-zeppelin-forced-to-encore-in-copyright-case/

It is common knowledge that many record labels employed studio musicians on records by very popular and successful bands. If you know who The Wrecking Crew was, you may know that they played on a whole lot of records that were supposedly played by the actual band members, and never credited. 

As I mentioned previously, I have worked with bands simce I was fairly young.  I have done audio work on a lot of shows where the band sounded nothing like the record and some of the members were struggling with the material. It’s a complex issue and someone could write a lengthy book about it.

I see you put in a link about that Zep story? Most of their first LP was material ‘borrowed’ from old blues musicians and not credited.

Heck, the song Surfin’ USA is simply Chuck Berry’s “Sweet Little Sixteen” with different lyrics. Early pressings have Brian Wilson as the writer. Chuck Berry caused a stink and the credits now read Chuck Berry.

And then there are the assertions that ‘live’ concert material is sometimes pre-recorded. I remember when Graham Nash of CSN(&Y) came out publicly against Milli Vanilli and not long after, had the pre-recorded harmony track glitch out during one of their own concerts at which I was in attendance.  ELO was accused of doing the same thing at one point.  There are reasons why I do not trust 'em…  “allegedly” was just sort of a disclaimer on my part in case somebody knows something about it that I don’t.

Sometimes?

It has become more and more common as digital technology has gotten more sophisticated. Lots of acts these days use backing tracks, extra backing vocals, and all manner of things in place of using live people on stage. Then there’s the ubiquitous use of autotune applications to correct off key singing. That gave birth to using autotune as a deliberate effect used on vocals that can be heard on a wide range of recordings.

Funny anecdote.

My brother did sound for Cher on what’s known as a “track date”. It’s when there is no band at all and just the singer. But this time his instructions were to only turn her mic on when she talked between songs. Her entire performance was a recording, including her vocal.