Riding Giants: A review

Sick Sick Sick Sick… A beautifal movie, like Blue Horizon. If you get a chance, you must see. Left me speechless…

Very entertaining but I am extremely susceptible to motion sickness–got mildly ill once surfing small choppy conditions + empty stomach. How embarrassing. NEway, during this movie, due to Peralta’s annoying attempt to be oh so hip and use lots and lots of jerky hand held camera even to film archived still photos, I got violently sick. “Watched” about 1/2 of the movie w/ eyes closed, numb hands and feet and cold sweat nausea. For real! Aside from that, I thought it was great.

wow, that must have been miserable

The last surfing movie I took my wife to was In God’s Hands…she was seasick in less than half an hour…now I go with friends…I feel your pain.

Fortunately my old buddy “Ralph” did not show up for the show. And the movie did have a lot of very cool stuff in it. Particulary interesting to me was all those tow-in guys talking about how miserable and depressed they were when the surf wasn’t up big big big. I can imagine the intensity of towing Jaws etc could pretty much ruin you for everyday normal life. Heck of a price. Though it might be worth it…not something I’ll ever know though.

Quote:

----It is an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem. For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much–the wheel, New York, wars and so on–while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man–for precisely the same reasons.

-Excerpt from The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

that’s my favorite line from that book…i have it posted on my wall.

things aren’t as they seem…all big wave riders I know still have fun in tinny surf…it just takes heavier situations to get a real rush on…the fun part is constant…the rush comes and goes…in fact i have to rush now…sea ya

Yea, its one of mine too, I am currently working my way through the Hitchhiker’s Trilogy, which is a compilation of all of his books. Douglas Adams is a great author.