river board for bend oregon

There was a thread here about a river board for Bend, Oregon surfing. It was to be a 4 - 10 stringerless eps with epoxy, the poster was asking about glassing schedules for durability. What happened to the thread, and to the poster? Looks like everything is gone. ???

River surfing-interesting branch of the sport. No padding, no popping up, shallow fast water, plenty of rocks…

Video from Dwight (member here) of a Innegra under carbon fiber kiteboard standing up to abnormal shore abuse:

Board Test from supSURFmachines on Vimeo.

Whenever I think about river surfing my thoughts go straight to the Eisbach in Munich Germany.
Eis, Eis baby…

The innegra under carbon fiber - thats a vacuum application, no? And innegra is just standard fiberglass isnt it?

The o.p. on this topic was building his first board, so I think a standard glass job schedule was what he was after. I think 6 plus deck patch (or double 6) top and 6 plus fin patch bottom, rail wrap deck and bottom, is pretty strong, but I have never worked with a 1.5 lb stringerless blank.

Thanks for posting the layup information Huck.

For me and this rocky/river application, an extra layer of glass on the bottom would be desirable.

More on Innegra https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/innegra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olefin_fiber

i would use plastic fiber for this application, inegra or diolen (xynol) or other untreated plastic fiber with “flexible” epoxy, mix with sglass for stiffness. Or to go simple on 1,5lb eps, two layers of 6oz Sglass both side with “flexible” epoxy, 6 to 8 % elongation to flexural elastic limit.

I have sold quite a few blanks to people who ride this wave. There is a wide variety of opinions on what works best shape wise and how to glass such a board. Most of the guys that build these boards use Epoxy. Since you are not paddling; enough volume to support ones weight and skill is all that is required. Yeah rocks can be a problem, but not any more than they would be at someplace like Rincon. Since one slip is all that is required to say good bye to your board and result in your own drowning; a leash is required equipment.

I’m suprised no one over there has surfed one of those patented Coltenator peanut type things on the Deshutes.

2x8oz polyester twill in epoxy top and bottom + fin patches, stringer or carbon springers or carbon rails if you want. 2# core.