Roving bridge strong enough?

I’m wondering if this roving bridge ended up a bit too thin at the top.
I never had one break, yet, so I have no idea how thick the thin bit at the top really needs to be.
It’s just a bit thinner than on my other custom boards and I don’t want to find out the hard way.
Should I reinforce that before taking the board into the surf?
It’s 8’4’’ and I might well take it into substantial waves one day.

2.8mm thin

If you used the same amount of fibres (roving) it will be just as strong, probably even stronger because the fibres will cooperate better.

Thanks Hans.
I did not make it, I bought the board.
So basically from looking at it one cannot tell how strong it is. Depends on how it was made…

That top part of the hole looks pretty thin to me. Wouldn’t last where I live.

Hi Mik, could you make a bushing with one of the carbon fiber arrow shafts to epoxy into the inside of the existing hole?

jrandy wrote:“Hi Mik, could you make a bushing with one of the carbon fiber arrow shafts to epoxy into the inside of the existing hole?”

I don’t think that would help, because first I would need to enlarge the hole further, and, probably as important, I don’t think the arrow shafts have much strength in the required direction. Their fibres run longitudinally, at least most of them, and you can easily tear strips of them if the end is damaged.

I think I’ll add a few layers of Solarez polyester resin and strands of glass fibres to the top of it.

I’m with McDing. Wouldn’t last here either. Mike

Can you fill it and re dril the hole further down ???

I don’t think filling and re-drilling would make it much stronger, because no additional fibres bridge the thin point.
I sanded the ridge a bit, then brushed on a thin layer of Solarez resin, then layed a few strands of fiberglass and dabbed it into the resin. I added about 7 to 10 layers, with short periods of UV exposure with a small UV LED light in between to gel the resin a bit, but without curing it fully.
It looks much better now, but I don’t know how the strength compares to a bridge that is done right the first time.
The weather did not cooperate with any sunshine today, so now it’s curing under a reptilian light for some UV exposure.

I think you have the right idea. Just build it up with more roving. If it bugs you you could also just grind it off and install a leash plug. Mike

I agree with rooster. It looks good now. Enjoy the board and if it does break leash plug is a great option.