RPM's

What is the recommended rpm’s for glossing. I just bought a new makita for sanding and was wondering if I could get by using it. It’s variable up to 3000rpm’s.

Chris: I’m not sure which model you have but my Makita variable speed sander/polisher works well for me from hotcoat sanding to polishing a gloss coat. I think that over time you develop some experience with these tools and the heavy weight Milwaukee variable speed would work even better, as the weight of the tool will help do some of the work. I picked this Makita up at a pawn shop for $65.00 so it was a bargain for me as a backyard builder. Go to it, seems that I spend more time with the sander than any other power tool when working on surfboards (or more recently on sailboats). Tom S.>>> What is the recommended rpm’s for glossing. I just bought a new makita for > sanding and was wondering if I could get by using it. It’s variable up to > 3000rpm’s.

Thanks Tom, I’ll give it a go with the one I bought and try to see what kind of shine I can get. What would be the advantage of the milwaukee vs the makita.I bought the makita because it felt better. Has a knew wrap around handle. It seemed to be just as heavy as the milwaukee.

On the subject of RPM’s, I just found an old Skil Pro sander at a pawn shop…its the heaviest sander I have ever seen and goes up to 5000 rpm’s. I’m wondering if this is too much…will I be throwing boards off the racks with this thing or what? Anyone have experience with a Skil pro sander? Thanks in adavance.

What is the recommended rpm’s for glossing. I just bought a new makita for > sanding and was wondering if I could get by using it. It’s variable up to > 3000rpm’s. I’ve got 2 Makitas (1550-2700rpm)and they work great.1 is 7 years old,the other 4 years old and never had a problem with either, not even the brushes. They weigh about 5 lbs less than Milwaukee. The only bad thing I hear from other sanders is the Milwaukee’s trigger unit has a tendency to go bad.Some sanders like the heavier weight of the Milwaukee, but at approx. 5lbs lighter the Makita is a lot easier on the arms. For polishing I run about 2000 rpm. Just remember to keep it moving or you’ll melt your gloss.